Help my Ford Dealer: Strange Rattle on Decel

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MAMiller44

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ford dealer is struggling to pinpoint a strange rattle from my 2019 that only occurs upon deceleration. Any ideas? Posting in general cause it may not be engine related. @FordTechOne i know you’re the expert, please chime in if you’ve seen this before!

- Most prominent when letting off the gas around 20-40mph.
- Only lasts a few seconds.
- It's more consistent and louder on a cold start but still occurs whenever.
- Doesn’t seem to matter if it’s a hard or slow acceleration, boost or not…does it regardless.
- Is not IWE related. It still does it in 4H and AWD. Tech also disconnected the IWE vacuum line entirely and it still happened.
- It’s a 2019 and I thought wastegate issues were addressed in/after 2017 but maybe not?
- Truck has 40k miles. Engine related mods include SVC Intercooler & AFE Magnumforce Intake. Usually running Cobb Stage 2 Tune + TCM Sport. Obviously removed both to bring it in for service and still prevelant. Always running 93.

Video: https://share.icloud.com/photos/04bLM686L8cyGTK9lUIdC8vBQ

MarkM98

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Where does the rattle sound like it’s coming from? Engine bay or under the truck?

OP
OP
MAMiller44

MAMiller44

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Where does the rattle sound like it’s coming from? Engine bay or under the truck?
Engine bay for sure, or at least the front of the truck. Definitely not from anywhere under the cab or the rear.

Techs are still kind of at a loss being able to pinpoint it. Unsure of what could cause it, apparently Ford okay’d replacing the IWE hubs and solenoids just to be able to rule that out. Based off our testing it doesn’t seem that’ll do anything but hey I’ll report back.

Nex

RIP CoronaRaptor
Reaction score
Hard to tell in the video, I only hear wind noise and the blow off valve.

Take a look at the cats. Hit them *lightly* and see if they are broken apart internally. Or can remove them and see if any material falls out.

OP
OP
MAMiller44

MAMiller44

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hard to tell in the video, I only hear wind noise and the blow off valve.

Take a look at the cats. Hit them *lightly* and see if they are broken apart internally. Or can remove them and see if any material falls out.
It occurs after the blow off, once you realize what it is in the video you’ll be like oh damn that’s bad. Not the cats, checked those.

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
It occurs after the blow off, once you realize what it is in the video you’ll be like oh damn that’s bad. Not the cats, checked those.
yeah, NOW I hear it.
Wastegate?

TwizzleStix

Pudendum Inspector aka FORZDA 1
Reaction score
It’s tough to diagnose with such a short video, but it sounds like you have a loose/cracked light metal shield/panel under the engine/trans. It’s a resonance buzz/rattle.

OP
OP
MAMiller44

MAMiller44

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It’s tough to diagnose with such a short video, but it sounds like you have a loose/cracked light metal shield/panel under the engine/trans. It’s a resonance buzz/rattle.
Unfortunately that’s the only time you get it. Just a few seconds at most and only on deceleration. I checked every pan/shield before bringing it in and couldn’t find anything. Techs also went over that.

Additional update: IWE hubs have been replaced and it still persists.

GCATX

King Dingaling
Reaction score
Ford dealer is struggling to pinpoint a strange rattle from my 2019 that only occurs upon deceleration. Any ideas? Posting in general cause it may not be engine related. @FordTechOne i know you’re the expert, please chime in if you’ve seen this before!

- Most prominent when letting off the gas around 20-40mph.
- Only lasts a few seconds.
- It's more consistent and louder on a cold start but still occurs whenever.
- Doesn’t seem to matter if it’s a hard or slow acceleration, boost or not…does it regardless.
- Is not IWE related. It still does it in 4H and AWD. Tech also disconnected the IWE vacuum line entirely and it still happened.
- It’s a 2019 and I thought wastegate issues were addressed in/after 2017 but maybe not?
- Truck has 40k miles. Engine related mods include SVC Intercooler & AFE Magnumforce Intake. Usually running Cobb Stage 2 Tune + TCM Sport. Obviously removed both to bring it in for service and still prevelant. Always running 93.

Video: https://share.icloud.com/photos/04bLM686L8cyGTK9lUIdC8vBQ
Watch this.