Help me decide: 2017 or 2018

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

NORCAL SS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
As mentioned, make sure you get to cold start to see if it has the cam phaser failure.
Also, the 17 has a plastic oil pan, and your 18 may also have one depending on build date. Things to think about.

melvimbe

FRF Addict
Reaction score
When you spend this kind of money, you want to get the one you like the best. No regrets.

As far as the beadlock wheels and toneau cover...they are not all the same. Getting the truck with out these means you get to pick exactly what you want instead of settling for good enough.

Reaction score
I live in the Va area and would never shop here. I’m going out to Tennessee next week (Brownlee Ford) to pick up a truck. Worth the drive to save THOUSANDS. You should be able to find a 19 close to that price especially this time of year.

Jeff-Ohio

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had a 2017 with issues and now have a 2019 that operates as expected. I would stay away from the 2017 and get something that still has a fair amount of warranty just to be safe. You may be buying from somebody that is trying to walk away from issues just like I was.

Sheeepdog18

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would get a 2019 for close to the same price of the 2018 but it’s a brand new ****** truck!!! No one had been in it but you!!!!!!

OP
OP
D

duracell24

Reaction score
After some more thought and taking into consideration the opinions here, I’m gonna eliminate the 2017 Black one. The dealership with the 2,900 mile 2018 Blue just dropped the price online and they have a 2019 Performance Blue one as well that’s similarly equipped, minus the tailgate step and heated rears (nice to haves, but not deal breakers for me). I guess I’ll test drive that one while I’m there as well to see if I can see a difference in the suspension and Cruise control. I’m thinking it’s gonna be a $9k difference between the 2018 and the new one though.

Are there any other changes (outside of the beadlock wheel design) for 2019 that I’m missing?

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
Don’t undersell the tailgate step. Unless you are a gymnast, Manute Bol or you just don’t like your knees, that tailgate step and accompanying stripper pole are probably the best bang for the buck ‘option’ on the Raptor.

Long and thorough test drives.

4rdFan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
After some more thought and taking into consideration the opinions here, I’m gonna eliminate the 2017 Black one. The dealership with the 2,900 mile 2018 Blue just dropped the price online and they have a 2019 Performance Blue one as well that’s similarly equipped, minus the tailgate step and heated rears (nice to haves, but not deal breakers for me). I guess I’ll test drive that one while I’m there as well to see if I can see a difference in the suspension and Cruise control. I’m thinking it’s gonna be a $9k difference between the 2018 and the new one though.

Are there any other changes (outside of the beadlock wheel design) for 2019 that I’m missing?

PM me the VIN of the 2018 truck. I can run an OASIS report and it will show if the truck was ever worked on by any dealer for warranty issues, TSBs, or FSAs.

Don't foresee any issues with it because of the low miles but you never know.

Last edited:

Jeff-Ohio

Full Access Member
Reaction score

If you are looking at a $9K difference between the 2018 and 2019 after negotiating prices, I would definitely go with the 2018 and use the extra money for mods (Gesier and Deaver+3 springs, 37" tires, MPT tune, window tint, fog lights, etc......). The electronic shocks on the 2019 are not a big deal.