Help me decide: 2017 or 2018

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

duracell24

Reaction score
First-timer here. Looking to get opinions on two different Raptors I’m looking at...

1) 2017 with 23.5k miles. Black. 802A w/beadlock wheels and tonneau cover. Private seller asking $56,900 but I’m pretty sure they would take $55,000 after talking with them a bit.

2) 2018 with 2.9k miles. Blue. Same options as previous minus the beadlock wheels and tonneau cover. Dealership asking $60,800 but I think $60,000 is an offer they’d accept.

So which one should I pursue? I like the blue more than black for sure, but it’s $5k more...and really it would be another $2,200 to add beadlocks (found a pair locally for $1,400) and tonneau ($800). So is it worth $7,200 difference to get the newer one with less miles in the better color, or am I a fool for wasting that much more on a basically identical truck? I’m tracking the only difference in an 18 is the B&O system.

Would love any and all opinions. Thanks.

PlainJane

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is the dealer a Ford dealer?
Someone on the forum suggested you should get a Ford Oasis Report and a CarFax.
Don't know were you are located, but I would buy a 2019 and not look back.

Last edited:
OP
OP
D

duracell24

Reaction score
In northern VA/DC area. I didn’t look at 2019s because an identical build to the 2018 runs $72,935 msrp, so $67,000 even with a decent discount. I’m not sure how I could justify and extra $7k on top of a 2018 for the same truck with the new suspension. Somebody help me understand what I’m missing!

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
What are you going to use the truck for?

How do both trucks spec out? both 802a, do either have the moon roof, tech package, heated wheel / rear seats, tailgate step & how do those options jive with what you’re looking for?

I would make sure you can hear / see the truck start after a cold soak; that is, not started for at least a day. Listen for the unnerving rattle at start up. if you hear it, run, do not walk to the nearest exit.

Oh, and one more thing.
#BlackRaptorsMatter

blue ones... not so much. :p

CigarPundit

On the road to serfdom...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
^^^^+1

I would much rather have a low mileage 2018 802A than a new 2019 801. But that's just me.

OP
OP
D

duracell24

Reaction score
Both have tech package, moonroof and tailgate step. Black has carbon fiber too but I couldn’t care less about that...so identically equipped minus the wheels and tonneau.

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
So, it’s really going to come down to your individual wants here.

is the lower price more important to you? As you pointed out, you can pick up bead lock capable wheels on the open market - make sure they’re genuine, we have had a user who bought local lookalikes that didn’t fit.

does the private seller have all receipts, including service / warranty? That’s rarely ever available at a dealer.
In northern VA/DC area. I didn’t look at 2019s because an identical build to the 2018 runs $72,935 msrp, so $67,000 even with a decent discount

You’re not getting a decent discount in DC metro, you’re going to need to be an hour or more outside the bubble to get anywhere close to under MSRP. Last I heard (on the internet, so it has to be true, right ? ) big dealers around DC / NoVA were still bitterly clinging to ADM over MSRP. Don’t buy from them.

If the money isn’t so much a big deal, is blue and lower miles worth the extra coin to you?

realjones88

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Somebody help me understand what I’m missing!

A new one has zero miles and you are the only owner of it. That matters a lot to some people. A new one would also have the full warranty whereas a 2018 would be half gone by now. 2019 has the better suspension as you are aware.

If the above does not matter to you then yes there are savings to be had by getting the used 2018. Agreed that I would not get a new 801a just to save money.

For only ~$4K more a truck with 20K less miles and a model year newer would be my pick of the two. If the 2017 still has the original tires you could be buying those soon anyway eliminating a lot of your savings.

dealers around DC / NoVA were still bitterly clinging to ADM over MSRP. Don’t buy from them.

Sheehy Ford (which was $5K ADMs all day) has a bunch listed at $3-4K off MSRP in the description (so you know it's real) and you could probably get lower through some haggling.

Last edited: