Harsh downshift to 3rd only, trans update performed and came back

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ryeabs

Reaction score
Same experience here -- 2017 with hard downshifts from 4th to 3rd within 6 months of a "relearn". I have had it in 3 different times with no real improvement. I've been delaying taking it back in as it seems nothing available beyond a temporary fix that normally takes the local dealer at least a few days to even look at it (with an appointment). Any easy reset for those w/o forscan (disconnect battery for an hour) at home? It gets to be embarrassing when passengers/friends ask "is that normal?". After the relearn / reset it feels like a whole new truck again...

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Same experience here -- 2017 with hard downshifts from 4th to 3rd within 6 months of a "relearn". I have had it in 3 different times with no real improvement. I've been delaying taking it back in as it seems nothing available beyond a temporary fix that normally takes the local dealer at least a few days to even look at it (with an appointment). Any easy reset for those w/o forscan (disconnect battery for an hour) at home? It gets to be embarrassing when passengers/friends ask "is that normal?". After the relearn / reset it feels like a whole new truck again...

2017 models built on or before 8/1/17 have a TSB for a software reflash. If your truck is in that build date range, the dealer should be updating the TCM, not just doing a relearn/reset.

HulkSmash23

Reaction score
I have the same issue again (2017 truck). Had the TSB done. The issue came back. Had the TCM replaced. The issue came back again.

Hard shifts to drive and hard downshifts from 4th to 3rd. They seem to go away once the transmission temp comes up.

But still a bit annoying. I guess it’s a good thing I have the extended warranty.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ryeabs

Reaction score
2017 models built on or before 8/1/17 have a TSB for a software reflash. If your truck is in that build date range, the dealer should be updating the TCM, not just doing a relearn/reset.

First time around TSB#18-2774 was applied and TSB# 18-2079 the most recent visit.

I also experience the hard shifts to drive (typically when reversing out of the garage in the morning, cold trans temp)

Derrick Hernandez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
2017 With 59,500 just got it back from the dealer for same issue 4-3 downshift and park to drive harsh engagement. 3rd time for the same reason. Every time they just reflash and it comes back 4-5 months later. Asked about warranty since I'll be out in the next couple weeks and the dealer said ill have to take it up with Ford. Called Ford and they said to take it up with the dealer. Ford customer service is a joke.

OP
OP
Rabel376

Rabel376

Reaction score
**UPDATE**
Per Ford its a malfunctioning valve body. Part came in today, truck being dropped off tomorrow and they will need it for 2 days. Will try to get specifics on what actually happened or if this is a guess.

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
**UPDATE**
Per Ford its a malfunctioning valve body. Part came in today, truck being dropped off tomorrow and they will need it for 2 days. Will try to get specifics on what actually happened or if this is a guess.

There is a published procedure to check the valve body; sounds like they found an issue with one or more solenoid or latch valves. Replacement of the valve body only requires transmission pan removal. Let us know how it goes.

alabbar

Reaction score
same issue , and in acceleration 3 to 5 much worse , took it to dealer and fixed by upgrading software and relearning
Pervasively i tuned my truck with HP Tuners, now i have to tune it again

mineyear 2018

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
same issue , and in acceleration 3 to 5 much worse , took it to dealer and fixed by upgrading software and relearning
Pervasively i tuned my truck with HP Tuners, now i have to tune it again

mineyear 2018

Be sure your tune is upgraded with the new transmission calibration, or you’ll end up overwriting the new dealer installed software with outdated software from your tune.

alabbar

Reaction score
Be sure your tune is upgraded with the new transmission calibration, or you’ll end up overwriting the new dealer installed software with outdated software from your tune.

and that exactly what happened today
bimistake I did it and car doest start or read ..write with hp tune
Finally loaded it whis stock tune
No ODO meter
All system faults
End the date on recovery to dealership