Harsh downshift to 3rd only, trans update performed and came back

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Rabel376

Reaction score
2017 Raptor. Had a issue with the transmission shifting hard from 4 to 3rd ONLY. Nothing in any other downshift and nothing upshifting. Enough that it would cause you to lean forward when it happened. Read about a transmission service bulletin update and took to the dealer to have performed. It was completed about 4 months ago and fixed the problem.

Now the transmission is back to doing it again. Is this an ongoing issue that will have to be reprogrammed out every 4 months or so or has anyone else found a solution to this?

BIGDJE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
yep i got same thing. sounds and feel loud bang on down shit does not happen often but when it does feels like i just dropped my rear end off the truck

white_dc

Reaction score
Been having a similar issue on my 2017 on the shift between 9-10 gear. Like it is trying to find the right gear then slams it in. I performed a KAM Reset using my SCT BDX, supposedly makes the trans re-learn and its been fine for the last few days.

It would be stupid if the trans needs to be reset every few months. So im hoping someone else has insight...

lawdog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My 2018 developed the 4-3 harsh downshift about a month or so ago, in addition to a hard 4-5 shift it's always had in Sport mode. I took it in 2 weeks ago to dealer, they allegedly re-flashed, but it's doing the same thing. Going back tomorrow to try again.

isis

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Mine does weird things when it’s cold. Including the harsh downshift into 3. It’s fine once the trans is up to temp.

GCATX

King Dingaling
Reaction score
If you Forscan, you can set the tranny to "relearn". Looks like you can use a tuner also. Mine usually is good for about 6 months. Since the last time I reset it, I've tried to alter my driving style and not be so choppy with the throttle, seems to have helps some aspects, I still get a really firm shift into 5th in sport mode. Not as bad as it used to be. It also used to be really slow shifting between 7 and 8th. That has not returned this time around. It did come back after the first several resets though, like I said about 6 or so months apart.