Got a stock exhaust and interested in catted downpipes (w/ built in turbo adapters)? Test fit ours for a HUGE discount!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Old-Raptor-guy

FRF Addict
Reaction score
We use 400 cell cats (same as SPD does) but with any brand anything less than 800 cells (OEM) can trigger the it as every truck is different. Defoulers resolve the issue 95% of the time.

There are instances of every aftermarket brand encountering this issue (Facebook, mostly).
In emissions states such as mine (Utah) defoulers are considered tampering. Will not pass annual smog test. Just FYI

FenixAmmo

Reaction score
I like the flex sections. But, why not make the passenger side equal length? I think you'd sell A LOT more downpipes if it also made the exhaust note sound better. There is power to be had in the downpipes, yes, but the majority of Raptor owners are avoiding touching the exhaust at all because most of the time it's amplifying a fairly "ugly" exhaust note, and it's ugly primarily because the downpipes are unequal in length.

You would probably sell a lot more downpipes to guys with stock cat-back exhausts who are interested in the power gains but don't want to make the terrible OEM exhaust tone louder.

If these were equal length I would buy a set today and throw away my Stainless Works downpipes.

Old-Raptor-guy

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Foot vote! Move somewhere more free.
Utah is actually one of the free-est states there is.

I can carry a firearm (concealed) in any building (except police station/court house) that is funded with state or local taxes. This means any public school, even the state capitol building. where else can you do that (not even Texas I believe)

Fact is along the Wasatch front, due to the mountains we have a pollution problem. the entire state doesn't have emissions testing just the 5 counties most affected by the mountains.

Oldfart

FRF Addict
Reaction score

I can carry a firearm (concealed) in any building (except police station/court house) that is funded with state or local taxes. This means any public school, even the state capitol building. where else can you do that (not even Texas I believe)

Fact is along the Wasatch front, due to the mountains we have a pollution problem. the entire state doesn't have emissions testing just the 5 counties most affected by the mountains.
We have emission inspections here in PA by region also. Unfortunately, I live about 3 miles from where I would not need any emissions insections done.

Last edited:

NateMob

Full Access Member
Reaction score

How long ago was the Inversion first observed in the SLC area?

Old-Raptor-guy

FRF Addict
Reaction score
How long ago was the Inversion first observed in the SLC area?
That is a retarded question. Inversions have been happening here probably for 10,000 years.

But that is the issue, inversions happen naturally and don't let pollution escape.

For those that don't know. the salt lake valley is at about 4700 feet above sea level. then the Wasatch mountains rise above the valley to about 10,000 ft.

When a low pressure system comes in with cold air it sinks. Later when a high pressure comes it goes over the Serria Nevada mountains and then floats on top (warm air rises so stays on top) of the cold air all the way to the Wasatch mountains.

You now have cold air that doesn't want to rise and warm air above that doesn't want to sink. You effectively have a lid on a pot.

In the winter, mostly in January it is very common for the "Inversion" (which is actually short for Temperature Inversion) to be that the valley doesn't get above 25 (single digits at night) degrees, while at the top of the ski resorts or going to the mountains the temp can be in the high 40's. This lasts for weeks at a time. Normally a couple weeks but I believe the record is over 30 days.

In the mountains the sky will be the clearest and bluest you have ever seen. While in the valley there will be no direct sun light. Gray over cast for days and days.

This is all a natural phenomenon. And is not the cause of the pollution issue. It is the reason we have an issue, but not the cause.

Now add industry/population to the mix and the byproducts of such can not escape the valley and it builds up. If you go west when it first starts you can get into some cleaner air but by day 3 or so I think you can drive all the way to Reno (500 miles away) and it is the same (I have been 1/2 way to Reno on the 5th or so day of an Inversion and the air is still pretty bad.

It is exactly the same as running a car in an enclosed garage.

They take air samples from a couple hundred locations every day (might be 2 times a day). Back in the 1970's the population was almost 1/3rd what it is now, but the air was about 5 times worse. So it is hard to argue that efficiency and emissions improvements across all industries have not helped.

It takes a storm to mix the air, equalize the air temps to break the inversion and get the pollution out of the valley. The longer the inversion has been going on the stronger the storm needs to be.

I am far from and environmentalists but I don't **** in my drinking water either.

People that want to by pass emissions components I find to basically be extremely selfish. It isn't like it is 1980 and they systems suck. Modern computer controlled vehicles, make amazing power.

Pretty sure a new mustang 5.0 makes more power, with less maintenance, pollution and better MPG than a Boss 429.

Hard to tell for sure due to the way HP was measured back then vs how it is now.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jumpcutter