Gen 3 Raptor Downpipes from SPD Performance Now Available at Apollo Optics!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
Nick@Apollo-Optics

Nick@Apollo-Optics

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
As someone who had GEN2 SPD DP installed, this is great news. The price point is a bit high ,but I know the value is there based on previous experiences with SPD and the awesome work they've done with ST Explorers recently. These are on the build wish list now. :peace:
Feel free to reach out if we can help!

Luchh224

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey guys! We are excited to announce that SPD Performance has officially released their downpipes for the Gen 3 Raptor! Expected ship date 9/1-9/15.

After two years of designing and making their own custom cats specifically for this application, the SPD downpipes for the Gen 3 are here!

View attachment 418278 View attachment 418279

SPD's Alpha Cats provide ultra high flow while meeting strict green emission standards. In addition to the SPD Alpha cats at the heart of these downpipes, they also include 3" diameter mandrel bent stainless steel tubing, you will improve throttle response sound and overall performance, while reducing turbo lag and exhaust temperatures. The pipes also include a 4" flex pipe to absorb shock from engine movement and chassis flex. No tuning changes are required and these can be used as a factory downpipe replacement.

SPD Alpha Cats
SPD Alpha Cats are next generation ultra high flow green emissions catalytic convertors and are truly an industry first. For this application, SPD needed catalytic converter that would have high flow and meet factory emissions standards. The SPD Alpha Cat is a 625cell catalytic converter and will out flow the previous SPD 400cell performance cats by +90%. They are extra loaded with Rhodium, which is a platinum based alloy that is required in a catalytic converter to reduce NOX in the exhaust to meet the new latest emission standards.

While these are catted and meet federal emissions compliance, they cannot ship to California.

Here's a video with some sound clips as well:

Feel free to read more on the site, or PM me for more info!

Any follow along with how we can go about doing this ourselves?

Only Downpipes I’ve done myself have been from Subarus and smaller cars. Thanks!

OP
OP
Nick@Apollo-Optics

Nick@Apollo-Optics

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Any follow along with how we can go about doing this ourselves?

Only Downpipes I’ve done myself have been from Subarus and smaller cars. Thanks!
As long as you have a floor jack, regular hand tools and some socket extensions, you can do this yourself.

On the Gen 3, the OEM turbo adapters have a significantly larger opening than the Gen 2 OEM turbo adapters, so instead of replacing the OEM turbo adapters, you will re-use the OEM turbo adapters and studs. No install kit, stud extractor or anything is needed. Just un-bolt OEM downpipes, disconnect your O2 sensors, drop the transmission crossmember, pull the pipes out, put the new pipes in, re-connect O2 sensors, re-install the transmission crossmember and you're done.

Two notes from SPD:
1. Make sure that as you're tightening up the bolts on the turbo flanges to slowly tighten them from one side of the motor to the other so that everything lines up correctly. Just slowly work the bolts back and forth from side to side.
2. The O2 sensor removal on the driver's side is a little tight with the front driveshaft going through the same area so if you have big forearms, it'll be a little tough, but still doable.

Luchh224

Full Access Member
Reaction score
As long as you have a floor jack, regular hand tools and some socket extensions, you can do this yourself.

On the Gen 3, the OEM turbo adapters have a significantly larger opening than the Gen 2 OEM turbo adapters, so instead of replacing the OEM turbo adapters, you will re-use the OEM turbo adapters and studs. No install kit, stud extractor or anything is needed. Just un-bolt OEM downpipes, disconnect your O2 sensors, drop the transmission crossmember, pull the pipes out, put the new pipes in, re-connect O2 sensors, re-install the transmission crossmember and you're done.

Two notes from SPD:
1. Make sure that as you're tightening up the bolts on the turbo flanges to slowly tighten them from one side of the motor to the other so that everything lines up correctly. Just slowly work the bolts back and forth from side to side.
2. The O2 sensor removal on the driver's side is a little tight with the front driveshaft going through the same area so if you have big forearms, it'll be a little tough, but still doable.
Fantastic. Thanks for the easy write up! I looked through your site but maybe I missed it, are there any power gain numbers and will I need a tune for this extra flow? Whenever the 23’s are finished getting the ECU unlocked I will be tuning the truck but anything until then?

2orque43

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Definitely keeping an eye on this! I had a set on my GEN2 and loved them (Nick is great to deal with!). Curious what the difference is in quiet mode from stock, I can't have the "You woke us all up" text at 4am lol

OP
OP
Nick@Apollo-Optics

Nick@Apollo-Optics

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Fantastic. Thanks for the easy write up! I looked through your site but maybe I missed it, are there any power gain numbers and will I need a tune for this extra flow? Whenever the 23’s are finished getting the ECU unlocked I will be tuning the truck but anything until then?

At this time, SPD has not released any dyne or power numbers for the downpipes. And you do not need a tune for the downpipes either so you can bolt them on to a stock truck with no issues. Of course, the full potential of your bolt-ons will be unleashed once tuning is released for the platform.

Definitely keeping an eye on this! I had a set on my GEN2 and loved them (Nick is great to deal with!). Curious what the difference is in quiet mode from stock, I can't have the "You woke us all up" text at 4am lol

If you check out the video below, they do a couple pulls in quiet mode. It's not as quiet as stock, but definitely quiet enough to keep your neighbors happy :)

2orque43

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
At this time, SPD has not released any dyne or power numbers for the downpipes. And you do not need a tune for the downpipes either so you can bolt them on to a stock truck with no issues. Of course, the full potential of your bolt-ons will be unleashed once tuning is released for the platform.

If you check out the video below, they do a couple pulls in quiet mode. It's not as quiet as stock, but definitely quiet enough to keep your neighbors happy :)

I'm more curious in the difference on the cold start lol that would be my only issue, remote start season is right around the corner!

OP
OP
Nick@Apollo-Optics

Nick@Apollo-Optics

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
I'm more curious in the difference on the cold start lol that would be my only issue, remote start season is right around the corner!
If you are worried about the neighbors, you can program the trucks to start in Quiet Mode during certain hours.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
khunter