GooseTuned Gen 3 - Baseline Dyno Runs vs Gen 2 Baseline!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Antho

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Glad cobb came out with the intake bracket. Mine was pulling out of the fittings and completely closing in on itself. There was a TSB out that also added more of a opening on the plastic valence. There is a thread here about it if you want to see if you have the latest valence. Placed my order for this bracket.

1657708945366.png

Attachments

• 22-2198.pdf
    129.4 KB · Views: 20
Last edited:

COBB Tuning

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
I think he means Gen 3 is stronger on the dyno with the oem tune, and that once tuned the power levels are the same between gens. There’s no significant changes to the motor that anyone is aware of aside from the factory calibration. I could be wrong, and would love to know what the differences are, if any.
There is a bump in compression to 10.5:1 for the Gen3 3.5HO vs. 10:1 for the Gen2 3.5HO. Modeled compressor efficiency is also decently different on Gen3 vs. Gen2 - improved efficiency at higher pressure ratios and airmass vs. Gen2. Not a massive difference on the dyno, but I'd venture based on the changes in modeled behavior that there have been revisions to the turbos. High pressure fuel system now operates some ~600PSI higher than Gen2, DI injector flow rates at a given pressure are lower on Gen3 than Gen2, but that difference is offset by the higher pressure - total DI fueling capacity on Gen3 is slightly higher than Gen2. Port injectors on Gen3 seem to be a decent amount smaller than Gen2. Decreasing injector size is usually done to improve low-pulsewidth fueling accuracy, likely a key component of the change of Gen2 Raptor's emissions rating of Cali LEV-III ULEV125 ('17/'18) or Cali LEV-III ULEV70 ('19/'20) to the Gen3's Cali LEV-III ULEV50 rating. Hadn't done any testing with ethanol on our development truck, so I was curious whether E50 or E30 would be the point of diminishing returns. Great to see Goosetuned breaking the 500WHP barrier already!

Ox3721

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Also, the Gen 3 uses a new, flat seat spark plug that is supposed to be indexed and I would think revised cylinder heads to accommodate that change.

Last edited:
OP
OP
GooseTuned

GooseTuned

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
There is a bump in compression to 10.5:1 for the Gen3 3.5HO vs. 10:1 for the Gen2 3.5HO. Modeled compressor efficiency is also decently different on Gen3 vs. Gen2 - improved efficiency at higher pressure ratios and airmass vs. Gen2. Not a massive difference on the dyno, but I'd venture based on the changes in modeled behavior that there have been revisions to the turbos. High pressure fuel system now operates some ~600PSI higher than Gen2, DI injector flow rates at a given pressure are lower on Gen3 than Gen2, but that difference is offset by the higher pressure - total DI fueling capacity on Gen3 is slightly higher than Gen2. Port injectors on Gen3 seem to be a decent amount smaller than Gen2. Decreasing injector size is usually done to improve low-pulsewidth fueling accuracy, likely a key component of the change of Gen2 Raptor's emissions rating of Cali LEV-III ULEV125 ('17/'18) or Cali LEV-III ULEV70 ('19/'20) to the Gen3's Cali LEV-III ULEV50 rating. Hadn't done any testing with ethanol on our development truck, so I was curious whether E50 or E30 would be the point of diminishing returns. Great to see Goosetuned breaking the 500WHP barrier already!

Thank you for the info!!!

jm77

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Glad cobb came out with the intake bracket. Mine was pulling out of the fittings and completely closing in on itself. There was a TSB out that also added more of a opening on the plastic valence. There is a thread here about it if you want to see if you have the latest valence. Placed my order for this bracket.

View attachment 380744

Anyone know if the Cobb bracket is needed or beneficial if you have the revised valence parts already?

OP
OP
GooseTuned

GooseTuned

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Anyone know if the Cobb bracket is needed or beneficial if you have the revised valence parts already?

I'd feel the rigidity of it and see if it feels like stock. On my truck you can feel how flimsy it is. It's an easy install so you might as well!

TwizzleStix

Pudendum Inspector aka FORZDA 1
Reaction score
I'd feel the rigidity of it and see if it feels like stock. On my truck you can feel how flimsy it is. It's an easy install so you might as well!
It’s on the Cobb site as a separate $20 item now, so I ordered one just to check it out. My 2018 doesn’t have the issue, but…

OP
OP
GooseTuned

GooseTuned

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
It’s on the Cobb site as a separate $20 item now, so I ordered one just to check it out. My 2018 doesn’t have the issue, but…

Yeah the older MY's don't seem to be as much of an issue. The S&B intake did this though on older years. I think they revised it