Gearhead tuned

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Badgertits

FRF Addict
Reaction score
finally pulled trigger on a tune & decided while back to go w/ gearhead. I opted for the BDX device (blue backlighting) because I don’t really care about having tthe device being mounted in the cab all tthe time while driving nor did I see the point in spending extra $$ on the Ngauge w/ the credits etc

Gearhead customer service was great- talked To 3 different guys working there between doing research before buying & walking me through getting the device updated, downloading the correct software onto my laptop, getting the tune onto the truck etc. stayed on phone w/ me and/or remote accesed my laptop through the whole process. There were a few kinks getting everything to work on my laptop & they were patient & figured it out pretty quickly.

As for the tune itself - so far only have about 100 miles on the truck w/ it on, & per their instructions I haven’t really gotten on it yet (said go easy first 100-150 miles just to make sure everythings working well) - but even @ no more than 1/2 throttle driving the difference is significant & immediately noticeable. The TQ this trucks making way low in the curve is substantial, - “sneaky smooth fast” is how I’d describe moderate throttle driving w/ this tune. In normal D it take only the lightest throttle application to get going & that low end TQ just gets the needle creeping forward constantly w/ just your foot resting on the gas lol- my wife drove it a bit last night & was like “it’s hard not to speed in this thing now it doesn’t even feel like it’s accelerating & im 10-15 over”

Im not new to modded/tuned vehicles but this is my first real turbo “modded” vehicle & w/ the tune it really demonstrates the different way this engine builds power.

So far I’m 1000% satisfied w/ Gearhead’s tune/service & glad I chose to go w/ them.

I’d say I wish I did it sooner- I have just under 16k miles- but I wanted to put about that many miles stock and/or about a year of ownership before tuning it, obviously much prefer the way it drives/performs now, but glad I’ve stuck to my guns & been more patient/methodical w/ how I put $$ toward mods on the Raptor compared to previous vehicles- it’s a complete departure from what I’m used to (mostly GM V8 vehicles that I’m very experienced in modding or German/Japanese vehicles i keep bone stock), there’s so many different choices out there w/ modifications & different “paths” you can go down w/ this thing I think it makes sense to take your time w/ it make sure you’re putting $$$ toward the stuff you’ll enjoy most.

OP
OP
B

Badgertits

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Update- about 200 miles on the tune now have had chance to get into a bit more & am EXTREMELY pleased w/ how smooth, seamless & linear the power delivery is w/ this tune on the truck, the tranny tuning is as flawless as anything I’ve experienced stock or modified.

Sidenote- I guess it could just be placebo but I SWEAR the exhaust note sounds different/better & a lil louder. I could see intake/engine growl being a little louder w/ more boost & turbos spooling sooner, but even the warm idle outside the truck sounds a lil meaner, possible??

Big Blue

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have a gearhead tune on my truck for over a year now and at least 7k miles and it's perfect in every way. Seamless and linear is an excellent description OP. Solid power improvement for sure!
speedo.jpg