Gearhead tuned

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Badgertits

FRF Addict
Reaction score
finally pulled trigger on a tune & decided while back to go w/ gearhead. I opted for the BDX device (blue backlighting) because I don’t really care about having tthe device being mounted in the cab all tthe time while driving nor did I see the point in spending extra $$ on the Ngauge w/ the credits etc

Gearhead customer service was great- talked To 3 different guys working there between doing research before buying & walking me through getting the device updated, downloading the correct software onto my laptop, getting the tune onto the truck etc. stayed on phone w/ me and/or remote accesed my laptop through the whole process. There were a few kinks getting everything to work on my laptop & they were patient & figured it out pretty quickly.

As for the tune itself - so far only have about 100 miles on the truck w/ it on, & per their instructions I haven’t really gotten on it yet (said go easy first 100-150 miles just to make sure everythings working well) - but even @ no more than 1/2 throttle driving the difference is significant & immediately noticeable. The TQ this trucks making way low in the curve is substantial, - “sneaky smooth fast” is how I’d describe moderate throttle driving w/ this tune. In normal D it take only the lightest throttle application to get going & that low end TQ just gets the needle creeping forward constantly w/ just your foot resting on the gas lol- my wife drove it a bit last night & was like “it’s hard not to speed in this thing now it doesn’t even feel like it’s accelerating & im 10-15 over”

Im not new to modded/tuned vehicles but this is my first real turbo “modded” vehicle & w/ the tune it really demonstrates the different way this engine builds power.

So far I’m 1000% satisfied w/ Gearhead’s tune/service & glad I chose to go w/ them.

I’d say I wish I did it sooner- I have just under 16k miles- but I wanted to put about that many miles stock and/or about a year of ownership before tuning it, obviously much prefer the way it drives/performs now, but glad I’ve stuck to my guns & been more patient/methodical w/ how I put $$ toward mods on the Raptor compared to previous vehicles- it’s a complete departure from what I’m used to (mostly GM V8 vehicles that I’m very experienced in modding or German/Japanese vehicles i keep bone stock), there’s so many different choices out there w/ modifications & different “paths” you can go down w/ this thing I think it makes sense to take your time w/ it make sure you’re putting $$$ toward the stuff you’ll enjoy most.

OP
OP
B

Badgertits

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Update- about 200 miles on the tune now have had chance to get into a bit more & am EXTREMELY pleased w/ how smooth, seamless & linear the power delivery is w/ this tune on the truck, the tranny tuning is as flawless as anything I’ve experienced stock or modified.

Sidenote- I guess it could just be placebo but I SWEAR the exhaust note sounds different/better & a lil louder. I could see intake/engine growl being a little louder w/ more boost & turbos spooling sooner, but even the warm idle outside the truck sounds a lil meaner, possible??

Big Blue

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have a gearhead tune on my truck for over a year now and at least 7k miles and it's perfect in every way. Seamless and linear is an excellent description OP. Solid power improvement for sure!
speedo.jpg

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bjorn-dpc