FSA 21B10 - Cam phaser update?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Terry

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had the 21B10 update done on my 19 Raptor on Tuesday morning. I've never had a cam phaser rattle and as I understand it, the update is preventive measure - not a cure. The truck does not crank any longer that before the update and I see no discernible difference in the way the truck runs. Power, acceleration and shifts are as they were before.

jamanrr

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I had the 21B10 update done on my 19 Raptor on Tuesday morning. I've never had a cam phaser rattle and as I understand it, the update is preventive measure - not a cure. The truck does not crank any longer that before the update and I see no discernible difference in the way the truck runs. Power, acceleration and shifts are as they were before.

those saying it doesn't crank longer, give it a few weeks and see if it does. I think some sort of updates come across the cellular network.

dudmleh522

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ford mobile service came out to my home and did this recall on my driveway.
Not sure if this is a coincidence but after this recall when i shift from P to D my truck does not jerk/jump forward anymore.

Hagasan41

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Out of curiosity what‘s the build date on your truck and mileage?

Solidred

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ford mobile service came out to my home and did this recall on my driveway.
Not sure if this is a coincidence but after this recall when i shift from P to D my truck does not jerk/jump forward anymore.
It’s not a coincidence, I had that problem and reset the adaptive learning via forscan. The update to our PCM, from what I understand, also resets the adaptive learning when it reprograms the PCM.

K223

FRF Addict
Reaction score
It’s not a coincidence, I had that problem and reset the adaptive learning via forscan. The update to our PCM, from what I understand, also resets the adaptive learning when it reprograms the PCM.
I heard that as well. But after having it done, I felt no difference in the shifting for better or worse. So curious to whether this actually does take place.

shank_guru

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Dropped my truck off this morning for cam phaser replacement. I got a Ranger XLT. Cute little truck for the week.
Well, I have the Ranger until mid-next week. When the tech was hooking the fuel system back to the engine this morning, the connector broke and pieces went everywhere. So, tech has to undo do some things, drop the oil pan, fish out the broken pieces. And the replacement fuel system parts won't be in til Monday.

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
those saying it doesn't crank longer, give it a few weeks and see if it does. I think some sort of updates come across the cellular network.

Where are you coming up with this? There is no over the air update, these trucks are not even capable of updating the PCM remotely.

jamanrr

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Where are you coming up with this? There is no over the air update, these trucks are not even capable of updating the PCM remotely

Ford does do over the air updates, do it on my wife's 21 Explorer and I assume they do them on the Gen 2 Raptors. They have modems and I hear the automation systems run. You can do updates from the main system menu as well with the Wi Fi. In regards to the post, my truck holds the starter a little longer than it did previously to build pressure. I assume this is part of the cam phaser update. However, I did not notice it doing it till a few weeks after I had the hardwired update.

K223

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Where are you coming up with this? There is no over the air update, these trucks are not even capable of updating the PCM remotely.
Totally off subject. But would you have access to the schematic in which way the modem interfaces to the APIM? I know the modem connects to other module(s) to control FordPass functions as well. Curious.