GEN 1 Front Camera won't enable

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Garrett

Reaction score
it over rides the system to allow nav input while driving, force the front and rear cam at anytime and allows dvd/video in motion. if you press the front defrost twice the nav will stop tracking and then you can go into camera settings and turn on the front cam. i use it for video while driving because i have a flir camera on the truck so at night, i can reference the screen to objects much farther than what my lights can see, and since it has animal detection, i can make sure there are now effin cows in my way
That’s awesome I’ve used flir on boats but never on a truck. So I used to be able to force the front cam but now I can only force the backup cam with rear defroster. Front defroster doesn’t do anything so maybe there is just a wiring issue with my front cam?

Dblex

Reaction score
I just bought a 2014 Friday w/120k miles. It worked at the dealership and when I got home and upgraded the Sync 2 software, it stopped working……

Just too coincidental. My Sync was slow and needed the upgrade anyhow. But man, I regret that update.

Again, this is MY social observation with this camera situation. And too coincidental.

BenBB

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I agree that update likely did it, I haven't tried to upgrade Sync (I still haven't even updated my nav maps hahaha!) but surely there's a setting somewhere for it, maybe Forscan?

WetDirt

Reaction score
Well I haven’t really checked on anything but today I discovered that if I cycle my rear defroster on and off the backup camera comes on and stays on until I do it again even in drive. Not sure what this means but maybe just faulty computer. Would updating my sync software do anything?
You might have 1 of these installed if your rear defrost activates it
ford.html

Dblex

Reaction score
No luck on mine! Ford can’t even figure it out. They wanna throw a new APIM at it now. It’s been in the shop for two weeks….

Think I’m gonna live with it not working. Should t take 3 weeks to figure it out

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
No luck on mine! Ford can’t even figure it out. They wanna throw a new APIM at it now. It’s been in the shop for two weeks….

Think I’m gonna live with it not working. Should t take 3 weeks to figure it out
Does the rear camera work properly? I would be surprised if it were the APIM; it receives the video feed from the Camera Switching Module over the same 2 wires. So regardless of which camera is on, the input to the APIM is the same.

Dblex

Reaction score
Does the rear camera work properly? I would be surprised if it were the APIM; it receives the video feed from the Camera Switching Module over the same 2 wires. So regardless of which camera is on, the input to the APIM is the same.
So the rear camera is an Amazon camera but works. (No square distance indicators or the front wheel lines, just the red/yellow distance lines)They claimed to have have swapped the front camera, switching module with others and it still didn’t work. They did mention that they could NOT get the system to LIM/LIN? Reset or calibrate. It kept sending a failure on that. They did attempt a sync update and it took it.

As mentioned before. It stopped working after I updated the Sync when I bought it. It worked when I took delivery

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
So the rear camera is an Amazon camera but works. (No square distance indicators or the front wheel lines, just the red/yellow distance lines)They claimed to have have swapped the front camera, switching module with others and it still didn’t work. They did mention that they could NOT get the system to LIM/LIN? Reset or calibrate. It kept sending a failure on that. They did attempt a sync update and it took it.

As mentioned before. It stopped working after I updated the Sync when I bought it. It worked when I took delivery
The system will not function properly if the camera LIN configuration cannot be completed, which is common when an incorrect or aftermarket camera is installed.

The next steps should be to replace the rear camera with a Ford/Motorcraft part, complete the LIN initialization, and then re-evaluate the issue.

Humvee21

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I replaced my rear camera with a Ford OEM but the front camera doesn't work anymore. What is the LIN initialization and how can I troubleshoot that?