Fox 3.0 Ride Height Adjustment Help

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Fb73

Full Access Member
Reaction score
@JanT you talk about that Icon shock picture ? Shall I remind you that I'm running Fox Shox, and not a blemish Icon copy !! :lol2:

But you'r actually right on one point, maybe I shouldn't have it completely level with an empty bed...we have to take in consideration the 300-400kgs of stuff we will carry in August, don't the want the truck to ride like a low rider !

Last edited:

ntm

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The 50/50 thing is just a starting point. You can tweak it from there.
Every truck is going to be different depending on rear springs, dampers, and load carried. The goal is not to level the truck, or go " bro" nose high, but achieve a level of offroad performance.

OP
OP
Evil Twins

Evil Twins

Reaction score
The 50/50 thing is just a starting point. You can tweak it from there.
Every truck is going to be different depending on rear springs, dampers, and load carried. The goal is not to level the truck, or go " bro" nose high, but achieve a level of offroad performance.

Understood. I remeasured last night. I don't have the numbers in front of me but they were much closer to 50/50. More like 55/45. I'm right at 26.5 on both sides from hub to fender lip and I think I'm going to leave it alone.

Thanks for the insight. Much appreciated.

Reaction score
The cv axles are at zero angle right around 70% compression travel. So the higher you lift the front end from stock height, the more cv angle you will have.
Preload does not alter overall travel range, simply your "neutral" point within it.

I may be way off here, and definitely could be, but is it possible to drop the front diff at all to help cv angles? I come from IFS rock crawling world, and while you have to be cognizant of how low you can go so that you don't affect front end clearance, this can effectively provide better cv angles at a increased ride height.

I would imagine that even 1/4 to a 1/2 inch would still provide an improvement without any negative affects.

MatMan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Understood. I remeasured last night. I don't have the numbers in front of me but they were much closer to 50/50. More like 55/45. I'm right at 26.5 on both sides from hub to fender lip and I think I'm going to leave it alone.

Thanks for the insight. Much appreciated.

That's where I'm at (26.5) and I agree, that's perfect.

ntm

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I may be way off here, and definitely could be, but is it possible to drop the front diff at all to help cv angles? I come from IFS rock crawling world, and while you have to be cognizant of how low you can go so that you don't affect front end clearance, this can effectively provide better cv angles at a increased ride height.

I would imagine that even 1/4 to a 1/2 inch would still provide an improvement without any negative affects.

Absolutely, but you can only go far before you start running into clearance issues with both the lca and lower crossmember. 1/2" would effect angles very little.
Here's the thing though, setting a relatively short stroke shock up that high means any bypass zones are useless. You have little available droop travel to keep the wheels on the ground. So an increased ride height is not desirable for going fast, although the extra compression travel is helpful for larger hits. But in that case, the suspension is being overdriven for what it is, if that kind of compromise is necessary.

Now when you go to long travel, lowering the diff can make more sense, but I've found 4wd totally not needed with the long travel. You just don't bleed momentum, and you're rarely going slow enough to use 4wd.
I had 4wd on mine for a year before removing it. I used it once, and it just broke the iwe hub anyways. Took it off and haven't missed it yet. I know it seems "scary" to run without a 4wd option, but I swear the truck is more capable with 2wd and suspension mods than it was stock in 4wd.

Reaction score
Absolutely, but you can only go far before you start running into clearance issues with both the lca and lower crossmember. 1/2" would effect angles very little.
Here's the thing though, setting a relatively short stroke shock up that high means any bypass zones are useless. You have little available droop travel to keep the wheels on the ground. So an increased ride height is not desirable for going fast, although the extra compression travel is helpful for larger hits. But in that case, the suspension is being overdriven for what it is, if that kind of compromise is necessary.

Now when you go to long travel, lowering the diff can make more sense, but I've found 4wd totally not needed with the long travel. You just don't bleed momentum, and you're rarely going slow enough to use 4wd.
I had 4wd on mine for a year before removing it. I used it once, and it just broke the iwe hub anyways. Took it off and haven't missed it yet. I know it seems "scary" to run without a 4wd option, but I swear the truck is more capable with 2wd and suspension mods than it was stock in 4wd.

Good explanation; thanks!

I was more speaking to the masses of people who are on MID perch or equivalent height with 3.0's ect. No mater the choice of shocks, if your going to raise the ride height even a little bit (to an accepted - acceptable level), I still think it makes sense to make the geometry better by lowering the diff, as long as it doesn't start to interfere with full drop.