FOX 3.0 Rear Bypass Settings

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

rap67

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey there. I've got the dsc up front and the qab in the back so I do clicks and most others do turns. Same method different adjustment amounts.

To find out where they were, yes close them and count the clicks or turns it takes to full close them. Write it down with a date.

Factory setting I think are typically half of the total adjustability. Others can be more certain, I was adjusting mine before they were installed and didn't make a note of the starting point.

Do not use your bike maintenance equipment for your truck. I did check and fill my front shock pressure. It's nitrogen and its under high pressure.

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner

Last edited:

MatMan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey there. I've got the dsc up front and the qab in the back so I do clicks and most others do turns. Same method different adjustment

Do not use your bike maintenance equipment for your truck.

Thanks rap,

rap67

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sure thing.

I don't recall exact pressures so I don't want to mislead you. But when we checked and repressurized my shocks we used a high pressure nitrogen bottle and regulator. We bought a nitrogen bottle from a local welding supply company and bought a regulator and shock filling parts from an online off-road vendor.

Others on here do it regularly and can offer more detail than me. I only did it a couple times.

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner

MatMan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sure thing.

I don't recall exact pressures so I don't want to mislead you.

No problem, I dont plan on (ever) doing shock work on my own. I'm usually more harm then good, and our local shops are top notch.

I was more curious if there is a schraeder valve somewhere I didn't know about .

boarder1995

Full Access Member
Reaction score
More discussion on the rear Fox3.0 adjustments, please. My initial understanding of the bypass tubes was incorrect before reading the following quote from Mil T (assuming his information is correct). I originally thought the two compression tubes worked in each zone independantly, not overlapping in short stroke. In short travel it's not as though the long tube is cut off from allowing bypass flow. This is the info on the two compression tubes I'm referring to...

So the two compression tubes work different sections of the shock. The shorter one will adjust the lower end of travel. The longer one adjusts more of the end travel. The longer one will adjust the entire range of movement also.
Mil T

So in the short travel portion, the "openness" of the valving is combining the short and long tube in an additive fashion. So, you can basically add those two flows together in short travel. If you fully close the short tube, you'll still have the long tube covering the entire range (short and long travel). Not that you want to do that, more just an explanation example.

So with normal settings (4 & 4 as I currently have, or 2.25 & 2.25 from Fox), as you go from short travel to longer it's reducing the flow by whatever the short tube flow is set. In my case and in Fox's stock setting case, it's cutting it in half, thus naturally ramping up the compression dampening as you near the shock's travel limit.

If you don't want a severe increase in compression dampening, close down the short tube mostly or all the way, and rely more on the long tube for adjustment. This will keep from having a severe zone change in dampening. This might be handy if you're right at that zone transition due to carrying a load or trailer (as I was this weekend). I needed more dampening likely, but didn't need the sever transition right in the primary stroke travel while loaded just going down the highway. If you're loaded and sitting out of the short tube's effective zone, it's not doing anything anyways, except during droop.

Last edited:

Hole Shot

FRF Addict
Reaction score
This is where having a updated fox 3.0 with compression adjustment helps. Instead of closing the slow tube all the way you could just adjust compression.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

boarder1995

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This is where having a updated fox 3.0 with compression adjustment helps. Instead of closing the slow tube all the way you could just adjust compression.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not sure I follow you on this? The QAB on the rear is merely adding the finger knobs instead of requiring tools to adjust the valving. Nothing too magical here. It's still the same valve adjusting. Also, it's not really a slow vs. fast tube, rather short stroke only tube vs. long or complete stroke tube. If you're making the point about it being easier to adjust with the new QAB - I totally agree!

boarder1995

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The DCS certainly does (per Fox) change the front versus their previous remote reservoir setup. Although, Fox still used the Fox patented Internal Bypass technology to gain better performance than other traditional coilover offerings.