Four Wheeler: 10 reasons Raptor better than TRX

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

KeithV

Reaction score
I agree that I would take the ZF 8-speed over this 10 speed. At least the way it's programmed. I had the ZF in my V8 Grand Cherokee and loved it. Hopefully after my MPT tune I will like this transmission a lot more, from the comments it makes a huge Improvement.

DINOZR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Great pair of articles. I learned new things about each truck. My conclusion so far is that the Raptor is the superior off-road vehicle and looks a bit better, while the TRX is the superior on-road vehicle and has a better interior. I don't say that in a denigrating way towards the TRX. Honestly, for many truck owners, the TRX is going to be a big draw. Not many people, myself included, will ever push the Raptor to the point it shines over a TRX.

I was a little shocked to see the TRX has an open front diff. No torsen. No locker. That seems like a big oversight for an off-road themed truck.

kenb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Same for me. The local Dodge dealer owner is a friend of mine and offered to sell me a TRX at his cost. I declined. I just don't want a 4 door truck. I too just bought a 2020 Scab. In fact it is suppose to be delivered today. My 3rd Raptor and all have been Scabs.

MDJAK

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Same for me. The local Dodge dealer owner is a friend of mine and offered to sell me a TRX at his cost. I declined. I just don't want a 4 door truck. I too just bought a 2020 Scab. In fact it is suppose to be delivered today. My 3rd Raptor and all have been Scabs.
So take this with the jocularity I’m delivering it.

but: I don’t care if the owner of the stealership is your momma, my momma, or @Oldfart ‘s massage boy. They ain’t your friend when it comes to business. His cost is something you will never really know. No one gives anything away, especially in the automotive world.

that said, as others have said, competition is good. If it makes ford put a v8 in next Raptor. Happy days. But with the v6 in the half million dollar Ford GT, is it necessary? Just boost the hp by massaging (not @Oldfart boy toy) the internals and bump the hp to 600. Easily done.

I have no experience with the Ram tranny (I think @Oldfart and @NASSTY have plenty of experience with those trannies, or so I’ve heard through the grapevine), but the ford 10 speed has been perfect in all 3 of my Raptors.

Tomhorn

Reaction score
Raptor was born in baja for desert southwest if u want to be a road rat get hellion turbos new tranny road tires and cruise around looking for trx’s the amazing thing about raptor is it ability off road and its phenomenal on pavement its truly a one of a kind factory vehicle. Guess thats why i have 2 for long term AZ use the 14 screw is unreal the 19 scab is different but again unreal in its performance on hardpack
All i can say dodge and toyota if ur in the southwest off road roll up ur windows and turn off your vents

DINOZR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Speaking of Toyota...why can nobody else reproduce the full roll-down rear window of the Tundra? There must be a reason why it's expensive to pull off, or why the glass will get shattered by off-road twisting, or something like that. Because that should be the only way to do a rear window in a full size truck.