Ford Says Its New 7.3-Liter V8 Can Fit In The F-150, Mustang

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

df4801

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I've also taken it to the drag strip.

well if you race it then great. But getting 18 mpg means you drive pretty tame. I get 14 mpg with about 50/50 hwy driving. But I’m working hard to get that down to 13 mpg.

NASSTY

FRF Addict
Reaction score
well if you race it then great. But getting 18 mpg means you drive pretty tame. I get 14 mpg with about 50/50 hwy driving. But I’m working hard to get that down to 13 mpg.
If you go back a few posts you'll see that I've only been on the interstate about once per year so I'm only dealing with 55 MPH and under speed limits. This is my 3rd Ecoboost F150 and it's easy to get good MPGs at 60 MPH and under.

Truckasaurus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes I do. I do plenty of jack rabbit starts where I get up to speed almost instantly. Usually up to 65-70mph then I coast until I'm doing the speed limit 55. While coasting the MPG gauge is pinned at 30 MPGs. If I stayed into it and didn't coast I'd be doing 100 MPH in a 55 MPH zone.

Do you really think the time you spend "coasting" from 70-55 makes up for the gas you burned in your 6+ second "instant" WOT acceleration from 0-70? The rated MPG of 18 on the highway (less around town) includes precisely zero time at WOT. Come on man. You can't be serious. You must have to have your tires at 55 psi and a block under the pedal to get 18 lifetime.

NASSTY

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Do you really think the time you spend "coasting" from 70-55 makes up for the gas you burned in your 6+ second "instant" WOT acceleration from 0-70? The rated MPG of 18 on the highway (less around town) includes precisely zero time at WOT. Come on man. You can't be serious. You must have to have your tires at 55 psi and a block under the pedal to get 18 lifetime.
Whatever... it works for me. The dealer reset my trip meter @ 99 miles and it hasn't been reset since. It currently shows 18.5 MPGs @ 42K miles, hand calculated it's 18.1 MPGs. If I traveled on the interstate (75 MPH speed limit) more than once per year I'd expect to get closer to 15 MPGs.

Last edited:

EricM

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Whatever... it works for me. The dealer reset my trip meter @ 99 miles and it hasn't been reset since. It currently shows 18.5 MPGs @ 42K miles, hand calculated it's 18.1 MPGs. If I traveled on the interstate (75 MPH speed limit) more than once per year I'd expect to get closer to 15 MPGs.

So you are saying you mash the gas WOT from nearly every stop, never drive on the highway, and still average over 18 MPG?

df4801

FRF Addict
Reaction score

MPG's are better on hwy, not worse. Even driving 75, the engine is barely revving in 10th gear. I get 3-4 mpg better on the highway

EricM

FRF Addict
Reaction score
MPG's are better on hwy, not worse. Even driving 75, the engine is barely revving in 10th gear. I get 3-4 mpg better on the highway

He's saying driving 55 on state route type roads vs 75 on the Interstate. 75 is going to be way worse than 55. The best speed for max MPG is the lowest possible speed that you can run using the highest gear. Assuming it's in 10th at 55 MPH, MPGs are just going to get worse going faster.

Kuan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You can watch your instantaneous meter to see what the best speed/load is for mpg in your area.