Ford Says Its New 7.3-Liter V8 Can Fit In The F-150, Mustang

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Truckzor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I was hoping for the 7.3 but after hearing it’s going to be mated to a different 10sp I’m thinking it ain’t happening.

Per Ford, the new 10 speed is the same physical size as the outgoing 6 speed and weighs only 3.5 pounds more.

Not sure how large that actually is compared to F-150 series transmissions but would be interested to know.

Last edited:

Barnstormer

Reaction score
Yesterday I was at the San Antonio Livestock Show & Rodeo and Ford was there with one of their Factory Engine Trailers. I couldn’t resist walking in and telling them that I had two Gen 1’s and two Gen 2’s and what a bad idea it was to put a V6 in the Raptor. They smiled, told me that Ford has been listening to the complaints and taking them seriously. They then told me about the 7.3 and they felt like that would very likely be the engine for the Raptor (in other words it’s not official yet but...).

Here’s hoping so.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
I love having a reliable truck. The ecoboost is definitely not that.

The 3.5 ecoboost is going away anyway... Being replaced by the 3L TT.... Not sure why Jennies can't comprehend that reality. No more six banger for them.

it’s past time for you to find a new forum to troll and embrace your new FRF ban
How to easily report MGD posts as trolling

time for you to go.

firemedic343

Reaction score
Per Ford, the new 10 speed is the same physical size as the outgoing 6 speed and weighs only 3.5 pounds more.

Not sure how large that actually is compared to F-150 series transmissions but would be interested to know.

The outgoing 6 speed for the 6.2 motor is the 6r100 which is just a beefier 6r80 (F-150/Mustang transmission). The new 10 speed is going to be actually a little bit bigger. The gearset is physically larger as are the output shafts. It will be a universal transmission across the fleet so it’s a one size fits all. It’s currently being tested in 650 trucks.

Truckzor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
The outgoing 6 speed for the 6.2 motor is the 6r100 which is just a beefier 6r80 (F-150/Mustang transmission). The new 10 speed is going to be actually a little bit bigger. The gearset is physically larger as are the output shafts. It will be a universal transmission across the fleet so it’s a one size fits all. It’s currently being tested in 650 trucks.

Found the quote I was referring to:

"This electronically controlled transmission has selectable drive modes that include normal, tow/haul, eco, slippery, and deep sand and snow. The entire unit is so cleverly engineered that – even with four extra gears – it fits in the same space as the 6-speed and weighs only 3.5 pounds more."

https://www.svtperformance.com/thre...re-ford-releases-the-2020-super-duty.1170855/

marmot99

Reaction score
Cant believe I'm replying to kid ic...

So you would want a Raptor with basically a diesel motor? That's what this 7.3L is mimicking. It is not a high performance engine. Its designed for fuel efficiency under load (towing/hauling).

Some people are infatuated with it because it a large V8... so are most of the turbo diesels in many truck brands. You wouldn't put one of those in your Raptor would you?
I do t know enough about the 7.3 to know if it would

firemedic343

Reaction score
Found the quote I was referring to:

"This electronically controlled transmission has selectable drive modes that include normal, tow/haul, eco, slippery, and deep sand and snow. The entire unit is so cleverly engineered that – even with four extra gears – it fits in the same space as the 6-speed and weighs only 3.5 pounds more."

https://www.svtperformance.com/thre...re-ford-releases-the-2020-super-duty.1170855/

Correct, it’s capable of fitting in the same volume of area as the outgoing 6 speed (referencing the 6R140 btw which is a physically larger transmission than the 6R100). The new 10R is about 3 inches larger though than the F-150/Mustang variant. Having installed them in our test trucks I can promise you this fact

Last edited:

Truckzor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Correct, it’s capable of fitting in the same volume of area as the outgoing 6 speed (referencing the 6R140 btw which is a physically larger transmission than the 6R100). The new 10R is about 3 inches larger though than the F-150/Mustang variant. Having installed them in our test trucks I can promise you this fact

I wasn't debating you. I was hoping you would clarify with the actual info.

Do you know how much this new 10 speed weighs vs. the 10R80?

SL75

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I will be angry if this engine becomes available. I bought mine with the idea there never would be another engine.