Ford Says Its New 7.3-Liter V8 Can Fit In The F-150, Mustang

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

df4801

FRF Addict
Reaction score
He's saying driving 55 on state route type roads vs 75 on the Interstate. 75 is going to be way worse than 55. The best speed for max MPG is the lowest possible speed that you can run using the highest gear. Assuming it's in 10th at 55 MPH, MPGs are just going to get worse going faster.

I can average 18 mpg going 75 all day.

The truck is barely working. Yea, you may get a 1-2 mpg improvement going 55, but still way better than mpg in around town driving

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score

Are you backstopping what you see in the indicated mpg gauge vs. your actual used fuel? I ask because it’s been pretty commonly understood that once you get the big 4wheeled brick above 65, mpg plummets. I would have to defer to the current and former Jennifer owners, as that tribe is way more obsessed with economy than the Gen2 crowd.

I can say that I’ve seen over 20 mpg, sustained, on “Island time” - hauling the family around OBX for example, where you’re pretty much 55mph and under everywhere. And by over 20 mpg sustained I mean math calculated and confirmed with my gauge, across multiple tanks of gas. Of course... YMMV

EricM

FRF Addict
Reaction score
You can watch your instantaneous meter to see what the best speed/load is for mpg in your area.

You don't need to do that. The lowest speed that the truck can maintain 10th gear in will give you the best mileage- 100% guaranteed.

If it shifts down from 10th to 9th at 52 MPH, you'd need to keep it at 53 MPH.

EricM

FRF Addict
Reaction score

The truck is barely working. Yea, you may get a 1-2 mpg improvement going 55, but still way better than mpg in around town driving

Just because he's not highway driving doesn't automatically mean it's all stop and go city traffic instead.

There are LOTS of people who live in rural areas with 55 MPH roads in all directions for a hundred miles. You might stop every 15 miles for a light. He's saying he drives on those types of roads, and not 20 MPH faster on our Interstates.

K223

FRF Addict
Reaction score
The Gen 4 will have a high revving 400 c.i. n/a Chevy engine.

Already have one of these in a car. And those push rods hold it to 7k just as fast as you can shit in your pants lol

A 7.3 would be interesting, but wouldn’t want it configured in tow truck form. The force fed 5.2 is a closer reality at this point based on what we know of it.

And how about throwing in some gasoline to this fire? Would a 600hp GT motor make the cut without much redesign work from Ford?

This would be a really boring thread if Ford did not at least have real current options open to them.

Meantime I will have fun putting around in my 3.5EB lmao

EricM

FRF Addict
Reaction score
What's "tow truck" form? The high torque long runner intake, or the iron block?

Short runner intakes will be available from numerous sources.

Iron block is heavy, but if you want to make big power- there is nothing better than an iron block. It's only an 80 lb swing anyways.

I certainly like the forged steel crank and 6 bolts mains. We'll see how the OEM pistons and rods hold up soon enough. Depending on the design and materials chosen for the pistons and rods, I'm thinking these stock short blocks will take anywhere from 700 to 1000 Hp without issues.

K223

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I’m just saying that motor to go into the heavy duties is purposely built for that platform. It would need some revision for say the Raptor. It’s built for low speed, gas sippin’ torque right now. I like the principal and the output. But in this form it wouldn’t do the Raptor justice.

Again I find it very interesting Ford could now have 3 gas platforms that they could utilize for high performance use.

Kuan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Already have one of these in a car. And those push rods hold it to 7k just as fast as you can shit in your pants lol

A 7.3 would be interesting, but wouldn’t want it configured in tow truck form. The force fed 5.2 is a closer reality at this point based on what we know of it.

And how about throwing in some gasoline to this fire? Would a 600hp GT motor make the cut without much redesign work from Ford?

This would be a really boring thread if Ford did not at least have real current options open to them.

Meantime I will have fun putting around in my 3.5EB lmao

Do you mean the 5.4 supercharged engine?

K223

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Do you mean the 5.4 supercharged engine?

No the 5.2 SC engine. Not to forget Ford has the EB hybrid platform and the Aviator to come out with it shortly. That’s 500hp/600tq. However for an off-road truck like the raptor, I’m not sure if it would be seen first in this trim.

Kuan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Oh - you said the Ford GT engine, and I was assuming you meant the 5.4sc GT engine. Out of all the available engines ford has, the 5.2 (non-FPC), 5.2 SC, and the 7.3 all seem like good logical fits for the raptor. The 7.3 should be a direct bolt in for the f150 since it shares the same underpinnings as the superduty.