first oil change break-in oil

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

nold

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Do you have to change the oil at 1000 miles? I read some thread about metal shavings? is it really necessary to change the oil that early?

Thanks,

Boss Hoss

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I am somewhat old school plus I run Amsoil for all drive train fluids. I changed the engine oil at 500m and now with 26k have already changed all fluds in the truck except the cooling, power steering and brake fluid. Will do those this winter.

Overkill--yes but who cares.

ace75

Reaction score
I was under the impression that the engines built these days are manufactured to much tighter tolerances and better materials eliminating the need for additional 'break in' oil changes. Hopefully others more knowledgable will chime in to confirm or deny.

Ruger

FRF Addict
Reaction score
There is manufacturing debris in every engine, casting flanges that break loose, metal particles from the scuff-in of of the piston rings on the cylider bores, metal particles from the bedding in of crankshaft and camshaft bearings, etc. You just paid $40k+ on the vehicle of your dreams, and you don't want to scrip on a $50 oil change. I did my first oil change at 1,000. As of 16,000 miles I've just done my fourth oil change - that's a change at 1,000 and changes every 5,000.

OP
OP
nold

nold

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There is manufacturing debris in every engine, casting flanges that break loose, metal particles from the scuff-in of of the piston rings on the cylider bores, metal particles from the bedding in of crankshaft and camshaft bearings, etc. You just paid $40k+ on the vehicle of your dreams, and you don't want to scrip on a $50 oil change. I did my first oil change at 1,000. As of 16,000 miles I've just done my fourth oil change - that's a change at 1,000 and changes every 5,000.

im at 1300 miles now, i guess ill have to do my oil change this weekend before my road trip to visit the in-laws next week :)
motorcraft oil filter fl-820s and 5-20 mobil 1 synthetic

OP
OP
nold

nold

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I already bought the motorcraft. I will stick with motorcraft for now for warranty