Finally looked at TRX up close

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Badgertits

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I’m not saying the Gen 2 was lacking in power, but Ford made the Gen 3 knowing that RAM had a 707hp TRX on the way.

That’s where “deficient” comes into the conversation. Add to the fact that an all new Gen kept the same exact 450hp/510tq as the truck from 2017 and it doesn’t make the same impression that it once did.

Besides, now that we’ve all gotten used to the 450/510 power numbers, is it really surprising to ask for more when we’re spending $80k+ on a newer version of our trucks?
The Raptor is supposed to be a purpose built off-road truck right? I know many owners don’t use it that way….but that’s the intent of design. It’s fairly common knowledge (or you can go try it out for yourself) the gen2 Raptor will pretty easily outrun it’s suspension capability in stock trim off-road if you’re getting on it a bit. It also seems from reviews that stock for stock, a TRX is not “better” off-road than a gen2 Raptor- faster on road, for sure. While they don’t outwardly encourage it- Ford also is extremely aware of the tunability for these trucks to make a good bump more power w/ aftermarket tune.

so what they did was give us a truck w/ the same proven battle tested drivetrain, REALLY ironed out all the quirks like revising the intake, doing away w/ plastic pan, addressing cam phaser etc & it’s the crown jewel of the EB engine family- w/ a forged crank/internals some of which were lent to a ******** le mana supercar. They then added an even more capabale suspension beneath to better utilize the power on tap- consequently being even faster off-road, since the Gen2 is arguably already better than a TRX off-road, and both the TRX & Raptor are supposed to be Baja ready OFF road trucks, not SS drag strip running street trucks, then by all measures Ford delivered & then some while the TRX did not.

amusing thing is, it’ll most likely be the non-R trucks you see off-road w/ the Raptor-R being the street king….shouldn’t have an issue dealing w/ heavy *** TRX.

your drivetrain argument still makes no sense & you’re only thinking it does b/c these are more “niche” speciality versions of what are still the big 1/2 ton pickup families.

I had a 2015 Sierra 6.2 truck, 420hp/460tq, guess how much the NEWLY designed 2021 Denali 6.2 makes for power?

how much power does a 2015 ram rebel 5.7 make vs a 2021 w/ entirely new interior/exterior/tranny etc make?

and this is really just for giggles b/c it’s way out of the norm, but how much power does a 2007 Tundra TRD make vs a 2021 Tundra TRD? Lol

why haven’t they kept bumping power up all the time? B/C they all make more than adequate power & are trying to hit a sweet spot of power to weight ratio + economy, reliability, & efficiency. That’s why Ram has to 1/2 *** engineer a Baja truck & drop a hellcat engine in it…..WITHOUT the hellcat engine, you know what the real story would be on that thing? Why is it so ******** heavy & why the F doesn’t it have 2wd w/ a rear locker lol

also….why doesn’t it look very aggressive

but….a blown V8 w/ epic exhaust note solves a lot of gripes lol

HOLLYWOOD 1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The Raptor is supposed to be a purpose built off-road truck right? I know many owners don’t use it that way….but that’s the intent of design. It’s fairly common knowledge (or you can go try it out for yourself) the gen2 Raptor will pretty easily outrun it’s suspension capability in stock trim off-road if you’re getting on it a bit. It also seems from reviews that stock for stock, a TRX is not “better” off-road than a gen2 Raptor- faster on road, for sure. While they don’t outwardly encourage it- Ford also is extremely aware of the tunability for these trucks to make a good bump more power w/ aftermarket tune.

so what they did was give us a truck w/ the same proven battle tested drivetrain, REALLY ironed out all the quirks like revising the intake, doing away w/ plastic pan, addressing cam phaser etc & it’s the crown jewel of the EB engine family- w/ a forged crank/internals some of which were lent to a ******** le mana supercar. They then added an even more capabale suspension beneath to better utilize the power on tap- consequently being even faster off-road, since the Gen2 is arguably already better than a TRX off-road, and both the TRX & Raptor are supposed to be Baja ready OFF road trucks, not SS drag strip running street trucks, then by all measures Ford delivered & then some while the TRX did not.

amusing thing is, it’ll most likely be the non-R trucks you see off-road w/ the Raptor-R being the street king….shouldn’t have an issue dealing w/ heavy *** TRX.

your drivetrain argument still makes no sense & you’re only thinking it does b/c these are more “niche” speciality versions of what are still the big 1/2 ton pickup families.

I had a 2015 Sierra 6.2 truck, 420hp/460tq, guess how much the NEWLY designed 2021 Denali 6.2 makes for power?

how much power does a 2015 ram rebel 5.7 make vs a 2021 w/ entirely new interior/exterior/tranny etc make?

and this is really just for giggles b/c it’s way out of the norm, but how much power does a 2007 Tundra TRD make vs a 2021 Tundra TRD? Lol

why haven’t they kept bumping power up all the time? B/C they all make more than adequate power & are trying to hit a sweet spot of power to weight ratio + economy, reliability, & efficiency. That’s why Ram has to 1/2 *** engineer a Baja truck & drop a hellcat engine in it…..WITHOUT the hellcat engine, you know what the real story would be on that thing? Why is it so ******** heavy & why the F doesn’t it have 2wd w/ a rear locker lol

Very well said! 100% agree.

Russ103

Full Access Member
Reaction score

All very good points, I don’t disagree with anything actually. I guess this is a first world problem at the end of the day. These are the companies halo trucks though, so a more demanding customer is to be expected don’t you think?

Other then the power of the TRX, there is nothing I personally like about it. I know that everyone raves about the interior of it, but I personally have zero complaints about my Raptor interior.

heybear

Full Access Member
Reaction score
600 pounds. That‘s the approximate weight difference. 10%.

I haven’t driven these things back to back, but that should be a huge difference off-road.

Not sure about you dudes, but to me, the Raptor feels big and heavy enough off road where serious caution is to be exercised.

Around here, we are on fast fire roads and the inertia of a 6k lb truck is definitely to be respected when pitching it Into a turn or thinking about picking a line through a rutted out section.

and even with my Gen I, power is never the limiting factor on offroad fun.

for me, while he TRX power is compelling, I‘m inclined to lean to the off-road performance of lighter weight truck.

Russ103

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah I am on the opposite side of the fence. They copied it. Be original and come up with your own ideas that will make the truck stand out.
They did make it original. Those lights are mandated by the DOT due to the width of the truck. Ford made it look cool in the grill (just look at all the copy cats with 3 after market lights in their grills).

LowVolt

Reaction score
They did make it original. Those lights are mandated by the DOT due to the width of the truck. Ford made it look cool in the grill (just look at all the copy cats with 3 after market lights in their grills).
eggonface.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.