Finally getting serious about purchase

What color Scab?

• Leadfoot

Votes: 24 58.5%
  • Race Red

Votes: 17 41.5%

• Total voters

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
BroncoAZ

BroncoAZ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you want carbon fiber, it comes with the recaro seat upgrade and I think they are just as if not more comfortable as the stock seats. Unless money is a factor?? But if a few dollars is a factor , Why are you looking at a Raptor in the first place ??? You get what you pay for....
Go big or go home !!!

The few extra dollars isn’t the dealbreaker. Usually the performance seats are narrower because they have bigger bolsters, as a bigger guy I usually don’t fit with the performance seats. I also don’t really like the aesthetic of the blue seats. I’m sure they look great, just not my choice of color. I’d be more interested if they were red.

OP
OP
BroncoAZ

BroncoAZ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The more I look at online pictures the more I like the Leadfoot color. I like the Sport package with the color matched bumpers and grill on a regular F-150, and the Leadfoot with the grey bumpers and fender flares has that similar aesthetic. The Race Red has a ton of contrast by comparison. I’m also looking at the Method wheels in the bronze color, I think they would look better on Leadfoot.

I’m settled. I just got off the phone with the dealer, my order is placed:

Supercab, Leadfoot, 802A, tailgate step.

Last edited:

K223

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Congrats! Your gonna love it. I like your way of thinking. Keep an eye on and invest in retirement, but you have to live a little while your still younger.

Post pics when you get it.

gsxraptor

Reaction score
Congrats! I also finalized my order today and am super excited as well. Leadfoot was my second choice if I didn't find my black 802a supercab.

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
And yes 5000 mile full synthetic oil changes. How Ford thinks they can run a blend oil with turbos for 10,000 miles I just don’t understand.

I think a lot of us who are used to 3k mile oil changes growing up are or were operating on old information. I’ve had blackstone do oil analysis on each Raptor change at the advice of a buddy who is a retired cop, who did a stint as a professional driver. He shuttled folks into and out of DC to do interviews and such. He’d have to have the car idling for long periods of time, perform meticulous maintenance and care. His first Town Car went 490k miles on one engine. The 2nd one has gone ~280k before he retired about 2 years ago and he still uses it. The car is immaculate.

I too was like “10k miles? LOLWUT?” but I checked with my Ford master tech buddy and he verified it. Sure enough, Blackstone has gently extended the range of miles up to 9k miles. The most I’ve gone is 7500 or so, but the oil will take it. Yes, even from a high stress 2x hairdryer motor.

OP
OP
BroncoAZ

BroncoAZ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Recommended interval on both of my VW TDI vehicles is 10K miles with a full synthetic. Since I won’t be owning either of them past the dieselgate extended engine warranty, which covers the entire engine, I stick to their schedule. With my diesel truck I’ve been doing 7500 mile synthetic changes, Blackstone analysis suggests I could go much farther. Today’s oil is far better than the pennzoil my dad used in the 80’s.

I’m inclined to do 5K oil changes on the Raptor, probably with the Ford synthetic blend that they recommend. I’ll ask my ford mechanics what they think, but from previous conversations related to Ecoboost trucks what hurts these trucks and the cam phasers is not changing the oil on schedule and it sludging up. I’m going long on warranty, so any issues will be Ford’s problem for the first 8/125K. Who knows if I’ll keep the Raptor past the warranty period.

There are millions of fleet trucks, police vehicles, etc with ecoboost engines that get serviced per the Ford recommendations and hold up just fine. I’d bet those police interceptors will see far more time in boost than my truck will.

Frank N

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I think a lot of us who are used to 3k mile oil changes growing up are or were operating on old information. I’ve had blackstone do oil analysis on each Raptor change at the advice of a buddy who is a retired cop, who did a stint as a professional driver. He shuttled folks into and out of DC to do interviews and such. He’d have to have the car idling for long periods of time, perform meticulous maintenance and care. His first Town Car went 490k miles on one engine. The 2nd one has gone ~280k before he retired about 2 years ago and he still uses it. The car is immaculate.

I too was like “10k miles? LOLWUT?” but I checked with my Ford master tech buddy and he verified it. Sure enough, Blackstone has gently extended the range of miles up to 9k miles. The most I’ve gone is 7500 or so, but the oil will take it. Yes, even from a high stress 2x hairdryer motor.

And ford only need the motor to last 60k....a blend oil and turbos - maybe the additives are that good now but not for me.

911 Crazy

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I’ve been reading and somewhat participating here for a while. I have been ******* over a Super Cab for a couple years. With the potential of the Scab being discontinued after 2020 it’s time to shit or get off the pot. I was at a dealer today that I do some work with and mentioned my desire to the GM. He offered to order me any Raptor I wanted for $1000 over invoice. I had him option out a Scab 802a in leadfoot, my cost is $63K vs the $66.5 MSRP. He told me I’d need to place the order in the next couple weeks before 2020 orders close, so I have time to decide. Out the door with taxes and plates it’d be just over $70K.

The Raptor is a want, not a need, and I’m having a bit of a hard time justifying the cost. I know the smiles per mile factor is high. My current car fleet is well rounded and paid for with a 2006 Dodge Ram 2500 diesel, 2015 VW Touareg TDI, 2015 VW Passat TDI, and 1987 Ford Bronco. I’d sell the Dodge and the Passat so that would put a dent in the Raptor price. I drive my Passat about 20K miles per year but the seat and my back are not getting along, so I want to get back in a truck for comfort. The Raptor would be taking that 20K per year duty. I can afford it without hesitation or impacting my finances other than not paying so much extra on my mortgage each month. I could double pay the Raptor and be done in 3 years if I want.

Would Dave Ramsey approve of this strategy? I think not!

OP
OP
BroncoAZ

BroncoAZ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Would Dave Ramsey approve of this strategy? I think not!

Certainly not, buying a new car while not being a debt free millionaire is not endorsed. But that ****** drives a Raptor, so he should understand. Although I am a fan of his I often disagree with Dave Ramsey about cars, not everyone should drive a hoopty. I'm debt free except for my 15 year mortgage (currently refinancing again at 2.25% from 3% to save $150 per month), put 20% of my income into Roth investments, and am generally responsible. Knowing me I'll debt snowball the Raptor and pay it off quick. My last two 72 month car loans on the Passat and Touareg were gone in 16 and 19 months. I'll plan on paying off the Raptor in under 3 years, although maybe not if I can get 0% financing. Navy Federal is offering 2.29% currently.

What good is living for retirement (20 years off for me, I'm 43) if I don't have any fun along the way...

911 Crazy

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Certainly not, buying a new car while not being a debt free millionaire is not endorsed. But that ****** drives a Raptor, so he should understand. Although I am a fan of his I often disagree with Dave Ramsey about cars, not everyone should drive a hoopty. I'm debt free except for my 15 year mortgage (currently refinancing again at 2.25% from 3% to save $150 per month), put 20% of my income into Roth investments, and am generally responsible. Knowing me I'll debt snowball the Raptor and pay it off quick. My last two 72 month car loans on the Passat and Touareg were gone in 16 and 19 months. I'll plan on paying off the Raptor in under 3 years, although maybe not if I can get 0% financing. Navy Federal is offering 2.29% currently.

What good is living for retirement (20 years off for me, I'm 43) if I don't have any fun along the way...

https://www.daveramsey.com/blog/cars-wealthy-people-drive