Finally getting serious about purchase

What color Scab?

• Leadfoot

Votes: 24 58.5%
  • Race Red

Votes: 17 41.5%

• Total voters

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
BroncoAZ

BroncoAZ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm tempted to do just that. But the OP is looking to maximize value. A wrap isn't going to be in his budget.

I’m looking to maximize the value of dollars spent, but I’m not adverse to spending some money after the purchase to improve the truck or make it last longer. I’m going to be purchasing the 8/125 ESP and maintenance plans from Flood Ford for just over $5K within the first 5K miles. I’m also budgeting $1450 on a set of deavers and adding some Rigid lights (I already have sets of Dually fogs, Dually D2, and a 20” SR bar from my Dodge truck). I also need to add a second battery for my ARB fridge so I can use the truck for my multi day commuting trips. I’ll be adding some kind of tonneau cover for secure bed storage, the Diamondback looks interesting. I’ll probably spend $9K in warranty, maintenance, and mods in the first couple months of getting the Raptor.

I see the value of a wrap to protect the paint, but cost is a factor. If it’s $3-4K I’m out, you’re right that my budget doesn’t have that much room. I usually do clear bra on my vehicles and get a decent hookup on it. I was also thinking a flat black wrap on the hood and roof would protect those surfaces from the AZ sun while looking good. My neighbor was looking at a used white Screw that had that done, it looked sharp.

Financially I do usually prioritize retirement planning over today’s wants. I put 20% of my income into Roth retirement, have my house on a 15 year mortgage, and have no other debt. Too many people out there are living overextended paycheck to paycheck with no retirement plan or savings. The Raptor payment, even if $1100 per month, won’t affect my retirement planning or putting extra to mortgage principal to pay it off in under 10 years. The only discomfort of the Raptor payment is we can’t survive on just one of our incomes like we could without car payments. The Raptor is one of those decisions that reflects a live for today attitude, if something takes me out before retirement I needed to have had some fun along the way.

Last edited:

Frank N

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I paid like two grand for an eight 125 ESP...
Another piece of advice I give you is don’t get the ESP until you’re close to the 3/36. A lot can happen in three years and 36,000 miles You don’t want an esp on a totaled truck or somebody totaled the truck for you, somebody steals the truck it’s never seen again all of this crap and you just spending money on something that you don’t need right now and the delta in pricing when I did it was $100 to wait three years.
That’s just my two cents

OP
OP
BroncoAZ

BroncoAZ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I paid like two grand for an eight 125 ESP...
Another piece of advice I give you is don’t get the ESP until you’re close to the 3/36. A lot can happen in three years and 36,000 miles You don’t want an esp on a totaled truck or somebody totaled the truck for you, somebody steals the truck it’s never seen again all of this crap and you just spending money on something that you don’t need right now and the delta in pricing when I did it was $100 to wait three years.
That’s just my two cents

Thanks for the advise on the ESP. The 8/125 with $50 deductible is $2345 now, or it shows $2445 for a 2018 with 30K miles. That's a good money saving tip in the short term. I do think the $2745 maintenance plan with 5K intervals seems like a decent deal, but the 10K interval plan is only $1840. I assume most here would be doing 5K oil changes, I don't mind doing the extras myself at home.

I really like the idea of basically having limited expenses past tires while I'm making payments.

Last edited:

Frank N

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I do all my own oil changes and brakes. I’m gonna have to tackle the front shocks in the fall. When I was in getting the tires today I asked how much to replace the two front shocks if I had the shocks They want $845 to replace the two front shocks. I know these things are a beast but that’s ridiculous

Last edited:

Frank N

FRF Addict
Reaction score
And yes 5000 mile full synthetic oil changes. How Ford thinks they can run a blend oil with turbos for 10,000 miles I just don’t understand.

Ron Lanza

Full Access Member
Reaction score
2019 super cab owner myself and I have to say it is certainly the most comfortable vehicle I have owned. The supercab length fits in the garage easily, has room for what I need and gives me a little better turning radius. I went with the 802 option pkg as well and am very happy. My only recommendation is to stay away from the recaro upgrade, talking with others who have purchased them, regret the loss of comfort and extra $$.
I have a 2020 SCAB with Recaro seats and I don't agree with you at all. The seats are amazingly comfortable and I love the carbon fiber that comes with them, as well as the blue stitching. Its awesome in my opinion !!

Ron Lanza

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the info. I spent about 45 minutes in the seat of the 801a, it was comfortable and had good knee, head, and shoulder room. The Recaro option is right out for me based on cost alone. I’m also a bugger guy, so if those Recaros have a bigger bolster I wouldn’t fit anyway.
If you want carbon fiber, it comes with the recaro seat upgrade and I think they are just as if not more comfortable as the stock seats. Unless money is a factor?? But if a few dollars is a factor , Why are you looking at a Raptor in the first place ??? You get what you pay for....
Go big or go home !!!