Finally getting serious about purchase

What color Scab?

• Leadfoot

Votes: 24 58.5%
  • Race Red

Votes: 17 41.5%

• Total voters

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BroncoAZ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I’ve been reading and somewhat participating here for a while. I have been ******* over a Super Cab for a couple years. With the potential of the Scab being discontinued after 2020 it’s time to shit or get off the pot. I was at a dealer today that I do some work with and mentioned my desire to the GM. He offered to order me any Raptor I wanted for $1000 over invoice. I had him option out a Scab 802a in leadfoot, my cost is $63K vs the $66.5 MSRP. He told me I’d need to place the order in the next couple weeks before 2020 orders close, so I have time to decide. Out the door with taxes and plates it’d be just over $70K.

The Raptor is a want, not a need, and I’m having a bit of a hard time justifying the cost. I know the smiles per mile factor is high. My current car fleet is well rounded and paid for with a 2006 Dodge Ram 2500 diesel, 2015 VW Touareg TDI, 2015 VW Passat TDI, and 1987 Ford Bronco. I’d sell the Dodge and the Passat so that would put a dent in the Raptor price. I drive my Passat about 20K miles per year but the seat and my back are not getting along, so I want to get back in a truck for comfort. The Raptor would be taking that 20K per year duty. I can afford it without hesitation or impacting my finances other than not paying so much extra on my mortgage each month. I could double pay the Raptor and be done in 3 years if I want.

Last edited:

GCATX

King Dingaling
Reaction score
Sell everything but the Bronco, buy the Raptor. You probably won't drive any of them anyway. I do 20k plus on my truck, love every minute of it, and would not be happy in anything else. Unless you're attached to the Bronco, ditch it too.

The Diesel Ram may seem like something you think you will need to keep, but unless you're towing heavy, a lot of the time, it's not worth keeping.

You're price on the Raptor is $63 and out the door is $70? Taxes and plates is 7G's? No way. You must be getting the "friend" deal. lol

OP
OP
BroncoAZ

BroncoAZ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sell everything but the Bronco, buy the Raptor. You probably won't drive any of them anyway. I do 20k plus on my truck, love every minute of it, and would not be happy in anything else. Unless you're attached to the Bronco, ditch it too.

The Diesel Ram may seem like something you think you will need to keep, but unless you're towing heavy, a lot of the time, it's not worth keeping.

You're price on the Raptor is $63 and out the door is $70? Taxes and plates is 7G's? No way. You must be getting the "friend" deal. lol

The dealer gave me the price of the truck at $63022. I estimated the out the door $70K price. Sales tax here is 9.1%, so $5733, vehicle license tax is a percentage of the cost of the vehicle, the calculator shows $1116.28 first year, typical dealer fees here are $400-500. So my ballpark estimate of $70 K is close, I calculate $70371.28. The only way to avoid the sales tax is to buy private party, they send a bill for out of state purchases when you try to register it.

I’ve had the Bronco for going on 23 years, it’s space in the garage is safe. My wife has to drive something, currently the Touareg. The Dodge diesel will be sold, I don’t really tow anymore and probably put less than 1000 miles on it last year. I can also sell my car trailer as the Raptor won’t pull it. The Passat could become the wife’s daily driver if I sold the Touareg, or it could get sold. I also considered selling both VW’s and leasing her a manual trans WRX. I would like to get down to 3 vehicles and be able to fit all 3 in the garage in the winter. Bronco, Raptor, and Touareg or something else she wants seems reasonable.

gsxraptor

Reaction score
I am kind of in the same boat. I am selling off my 2015 Mustang GT and a 2018 Toyota Camry SE and replacing them with a 2019 agate black supercab that I'm getting at a great price. I can't wait to get mine and I bet you can't either! Good luck!

GordoJay

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Someone said that red is an old guys color. Being an old guy and liking red, I couldn't argue. I think you should buy the SCAB. I also have a messed up back and life is too short to spend that much time being uncomfortable. My Raptor is the most comfortable truck I've ever owned ...

Roscoe S

Reaction score
My Dad broke his back in a car wreck a few years ago and has constant back issues (he's 75 now). He has told me on multiple occasions that the Raptor seats are the most back friendly and comfortable seats he's ever sat in and he has owned a lot of vehicles in his lifetime.

wheelman55

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The prize for most comfortable seats belongs to Volvo, of which I’ve owned plenty. A close second was a Tahoe that I drove for 150k and now my 2018 Raptor.

You will most likely love the Raptor and it’s seats.

And won’t you and the wife look good in that Race Red pickup truck! :)

Last edited:
OP
OP
BroncoAZ

BroncoAZ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The vote on color is 4 to 4 currently. I spent my 2 hour commute this morning thinking about how it’d feel to be doing it in a Raptor instead of my Passat. I was specifically trying to avoid the thought of fuel economy since I don’t really care that much. When I got to work I was sizing up parking spots that would be Raptor friendly. I daily drove my Dodge 2500 for 9 years and had that size truck before that, so the size shouldn’t be an issue.