Engine rattle/noise at start up

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

raisins

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Update from my end - After Ford replaced the engine, I had the same rattle on startup again. I dropped off the truck beginning of January, got it back a couple weeks later. They said they replaced the valve covers with updated ones, which I was told were a new design. I don't have the rattle on startup anymore and truck runs great. Will keep you guys posted if anything changes.

Wfo

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Update from my end - After Ford replaced the engine, I had the same rattle on startup again. I dropped off the truck beginning of January, got it back a couple weeks later. They said they replaced the valve covers with updated ones, which I was told were a new design. I don't have the rattle on startup anymore and truck runs great. Will keep you guys posted if anything changes.
How recent are the updated valve covers? Wonder if my late production 18 has them?

raisins

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
How recent are the updated valve covers? Wonder if my late production 18 has them?

Not sure. I'll dig up the write-up tomorrow and see if I can find any part numbers. If you don't have a rattle upon start up you should be fine. I should note that some folks do get confused with the noise from the fuel distribution system, which sounds more like an intermittent flutter. The rattle I experienced would sound like a loose chain slap rattling against something, like on a sprocket.

OPT PRIME

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had my phasers done at 25k along with the updates valve covers. Just 2500 miles later and I have this:

Dachuri

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I take my truck in Wednesday for the startup rattle I’ve had pretty much since new. ‘17 built 4/17.

I’ll post an update when I have one. Thankfully the dealer told me they’ll have a loaner.

raisins

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I take my truck in Wednesday for the startup rattle I’ve had pretty much since new. ‘17 built 4/17.

I’ll post an update when I have one. Thankfully the dealer told me they’ll have a loaner.

Exactly what I had!

raisins

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I had my phasers done at 25k along with the updates valve covers. Just 2500 miles later and I have this:

Damn man. I feel for you, can't catch a break! I hope it all works out for you in the end.

rtmozingo

FRF Addict
Reaction score

There's several of you unfortunates who have the sound return shortly after fix. This indicates to me that something external to the parts are causing them to fail. The idea that the oil path is obstructed seems to have more weight if the new parts fail afterwards. That, or incompetent techs misaligned the guide causing repeat failure.

kid icarus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There's several of you unfortunates who have the sound return shortly after fix. This indicates to me that something external to the parts are causing them to fail. The idea that the oil path is obstructed seems to have more weight if the new parts fail afterwards. That, or incompetent techs misaligned the guide causing repeat failure.

To go along with that, we don't know that Ford has a redesigned, working cam phaser yet.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jumpcutter