Emissions ......................

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Talon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
without looking at your mods....if its anything other than a muffler im going to say no, it wont pass. Its crazy how strict they are out here....

BigJ

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Passing the sniffer is one thing. Passing the visual is a whole 'nuther thing.

You'd be ok with the JDM/K&N if it comes with a CARB sticker and you placed that sticker near the emissions chart under the hood.

The L/T's are an immediate fail. They're flat not legal in California. If you have a motivated smog tech, he'll see 'em and fail you right away. If not... well lets just say this: what if you had "installed" CARB legal shortys first, and affixed the CARB sticker for 'em next to your JDM/K&N sticker. Then, some time later you installed long tubes but, uh, forgot? to remove the shorty's CARB sticker. Its not unreasonable to think the smog tech might see the CARB sticker and incorrectly assume its for the LTs... just saying...

The cat back is fine and probably doesn't even come with a CARB sticker. If it does, add it next to your CAI and shorty CARB stickers.

A.I.I.Raciing

Dezert 8MYMNEY
Reaction score
Wait, you already had to smog your truck?
On new cars/trucks in CA you dont smog until 5 years after bought new.

Brandon, a muffler will fail also, just the way things are here if you dont have a carb sticker, and last time I checked not many come with them
In fact I got pulled over a few weeks ago and that was one of the 1st things the CHP guy asked me when he pulled me over, and luckily he was cool and let me go with only a fix it ticket for not having my license plate on the front

OP
OP
The Tank

The Tank

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Wait, you already had to smog your truck?
On new cars/trucks in CA you dont smog until 5 years after bought new.

Brandon, a muffler will fail also, just the way things are here if you dont have a carb sticker, and last time I checked not many come with them
In fact I got pulled over a few weeks ago and that was one of the 1st things the CHP guy asked me when he pulled me over, and luckily he was cool and let me go with only a fix it ticket for not having my license plate on the front
I moved from VA to NC and I'm changing my plates from one to the other. NC does a OBD2 check then if you are iffy on that they will sniff you.

BigJ

FRF Addict
Reaction score
The cams aren't emission legal either.
Right, neither is your tune. But they're not "visible". The only way the tech would figure it out is if you failed the sniff and/or are throwing code(s). I thought we started the discussion by saying you did fine on the sniffer.

BigJ

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Brandon, a muffler will fail also...
Wait, what? No... CARB doesn't address from the cat back. Did the cop try to tell you your muffler wasn't "CARB legal"? If so, he doesn't know what he's talking about. On the other hand, if he was worried about noise, then yeah he can nail you there (I think in Cali is 95dB or less under full acceleration).

But from an emissions perspective, CARB doesn't address from the cats back.