Multiple catalytic converter failures in multiple vehicles

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Donmatteo

FRF Addict
Reaction score
If your using an oil that lighter ends are vaporing off, then you could be burning them in the converter. A new and a used oil analysis should pick that up. It could be ppm of an additive that does not play well. What are you using? I am in the gasoline camp tho. You don’t happen to have a very short daily drive do you?
Not my thread. I'm not the OP

maxr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
@Gary Gere . I also live in WTF but unlike you, I primarily use Safeway 91 octane w/ 10% ethanol. Zero catalytic issues and have 14k on my 2021. I only use the 91 octane from Town Pump or Alpine for my snowthrower.

maxr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I do a couple road trips a year but each is definitely less then 1k round trip. Most of what I like to do is close by.

NJ2020

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm still curious on this issue, there is a TSB out there (referencing only Powerboosts however) related to high sulfur fuel causing catalyst problems. Still guessing it is the non-ethanol fuel blend in your area.

raptor730

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wonder if the gas trucks are deliverying 100LL to airports or something and leaving some in the tank.

RogueClimber

Captain Rob
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Speaking of the CAT, does anyone have a deterrent for theft?
About the 24s but good info

Another

thatJeepguy

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Both catalytic converters have been replaced (under warranty) on 3 vehicles:
- 2018 Ford Explorer Sport 3.5L V6 in February 2023 about 52000 miles
- 2019 F150 Raptor in May 2020 about 9000 miles
- 2022 F150 Raptor in March 2023 about 8000 miles

All 3 vehicles were purchased new from, and have been serviced exclusively by, the same Ford Dealer.

I live in North Western Montana about 30 miles from the Canadian border. I exclusively use ethanol free top-tier fuel. In Montana I use Exxon/Conoco/Cenex 91 octane fuel, in Canada I have used Chevron 91 and Chevron 94 octane fuel. I have never used any fuel additive. No modifications of any kind have been done and they are parked in a heated garage.

Now the 2022 Raptor again threw code p0430 at 14000 miles - both catalytic converters need to be replaced again after only 6000 miles.

They cannot find anything else "wrong" with the truck and are having some expert tech from Ford come out to diagnose "the problem".

Has anyone else had these types of problems with catalytic converter failures?
How long are your drives? What oil?