Educate me on this transmission

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score

rfc805

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Interesting the variety of experiences here. I put the Raptor into "sport" for the first time yesterday. Do the different modes change the TCU behavior?

The reason I ask, in "Sport" it seemed like the transmission had all the shift points wrong. It would seemingly "slam" into the next gear, but at the wrong speed, so I'd feel a sharp jolt of either accel or decel depending on which way it got it wrong.

In "Normal" it's pretty smooth - I don't generally think of the actual shift revs as something that it "learns"

SurfRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
My generic "Blue Driver" scan tool cannot delete the Transmission Adaptive Tables. I can clear all codes I just can't do that. Will it still work for me or is there another Scan tool I should be buying?
Yes, download ForScan. The software is free, you just need a compatible adapter, which they list on the site. I have the OBD Link EX, it works well.

shigman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yup I cleared the learning tables and my trans went from a mess to nearly perfect. After a few thousand miles it’s returned to its weird self. Time to clear again.

j1nino

Reaction score
Had a hard downshift yesterday while driving up a steep hill and accelerating hard, the truck downshifted and the RPM's quickly went to over 6k and the tach went red. Got off the gas and all was fine, but I think it downshift to many gears. Anyone else experience anything similar?

Before driving aggressively what trans temp are you all targeting? I'm usually waiting to get over 140-150 before driving hard.

Keith88

FRF Addict
Reaction score
So mine does the clunk rarely. Notice its really only when the trans is cold though. On my 2020 AT4 it never did anything wrong. I imagine its the difference in programing for the 2 brands. my 21 Tremor had shifting issues and under acceleration at any speed or rpm it would shake the fricken truck. dont miss that haha.