Driver side heated seat not working Gen 2

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

goblues38

FRF Addict
Reaction score
My seat just quit working as well

The lights work, fear its the element.

When I call my local dealers, everyone asks if its the seat element or the back element. Neither of those elements work on the drivers side.

Would a break of the element in the seat (butt) cushion cause the back element not to function as well?

yes.....it is in series......get the bottom element first....connect to without removing the seat to "test" the issue. then tear it al. apart...just be careful on disassembly.

Woolaroc

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well just noticed mine went out and I'm at like 36,500 miles... FML. I've scheduled an appointment with the dealer I purchased from and bought an extended warranty (which I can't find any info on) so hopefully it's covered. Has anyone had success repairing it themselves and it lasting?

nikhsub1

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Well just noticed mine went out and I'm at like 36,500 miles... FML. I've scheduled an appointment with the dealer I purchased from and bought an extended warranty (which I can't find any info on) so hopefully it's covered. Has anyone had success repairing it themselves and it lasting?
Yes.

goblues38

FRF Addict
Reaction score
read page 9 of this thread. 2 great examples. I did mine last year and no issues at all.

Booth9999

Professional basket weaver level 7
Reaction score
I replaced the element and I have a heated drivers seat again. Took less than two hours to remove the seat, replace the element, and re-install. Glad I removed the seat because it would have been a btch to do it in the car. Plus it allowed me to vacuum under the seat and between the seat and center console.

Im pretty sure my issue was the same as the one poster earlier in this thread. The plastic bar that attaches to the hook (or is it the arrow) that's in the seat foam, must have somehow worn the element wire down or broke it. To try and prevent it from happening again, I cut some of the old element fabric and stuffed it underneath and above the new element. Hopefully that helps prevent direct contact of the plastic piece and the wire.

Beer of choice for todays project.. Rogue Dead Guy Ale.

View attachment 316700

Fabric I stuffed down into the crevice to hopefully help prevent issues in the future.

View attachment 316701

Problem area that sat in the same crevice as above.

View attachment 316702

Old element and removing the hook and arrow attachments.

View attachment 316703

Image of the hook and arrow. This was the part that made me the most anxious to do the repair.
There are no good images online so I had to go with the Ford repair manual and wing it. The gray bar
is attached to the orange part. I inserted a small flat head screw driver, twisted it, and pulled the gray bar out.
Worked very well.

View attachment 316704
This should be a sticky at the top of the forum. Great write up.

Woolaroc

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So had the dealer fix the heating element under my extended warranty, but now the left side of my bottom seat cushion squeaks when it runs agains the plastic trim piece where the seat adjustment controls are. Anyone else have this issue? Anything I can do to stop this squeak? Happens over bumps, if I sit too far or lean to the left or adjust myself.

Reaction score
Good Morning Folks, I'm new here to the Forum. I have been reading about the seat heater issue since the driver side of my 19 quit at the beginning of the winter this year. After a quick trip to the dealer thinking I could buy an element I was floored when they told me it was $2300. They said I had to by the element and the cushion together, fast forward to earlier this week and some relentless searching I finally got part numbers for both the seat bottom and seat back elements. Thought y'all would like to have them as well.
Seat Back JL3Z14D696J $47.02
Seat Bottom JL3Z14D696D $42.67
Overnight shipping was $10
Bought from www.parts.ford.com

copb8

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Good Morning Folks, I'm new here to the Forum. I have been reading about the seat heater issue since the driver side of my 19 quit at the beginning of the winter this year. After a quick trip to the dealer thinking I could buy an element I was floored when they told me it was $2300. They said I had to by the element and the cushion together, fast forward to earlier this week and some relentless searching I finally got part numbers for both the seat bottom and seat back elements. Thought y'all would like to have them as well.
Seat Back JL3Z14D696J $47.02
Seat Bottom JL3Z14D696D $42.67
Overnight shipping was $10
Bought from www.parts.ford.com
Excellent post. I'm sure you're going to be saving a lot of us big $$$s in the future. Thanks

nikhsub1

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Hmm my seat cushion element has a different part number, JL3Z-14D696-H and it's cheaper... I know it works cuz I installed it and it gets warm.