Tailgate Release Button Not Working

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Sonicsunspot

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
2018 Gen 2 - tailgate release button stopped working. Fob control still works. I replaced the actuator (because it was easy, not necessarily logical). Still no joy.

Trucks been at the dealership 2 days, apparently they think executing the unintended tailgate release recall TSB will fix it. But the guy that does that job is swamped and it will be many more days. Apparently he also specializes in A/C compressors - I can understand why he’s swamped.

Anyway, has anyone else experienced this problem and is the recall fix worth waiting for or is this merely the troubleshooting tree next step???

isis

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I had the recall fix done and my tailgate wouldn't open at all. Had to take it back so they could take it apart and do (something?) to fix it. All good now..

OP
OP
Sonicsunspot

Sonicsunspot

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah the recall is for unintended tailgate release. I don’t see how that impacts my issues where the tailgate button does not work.

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
are you sure it doesn’t work? After the TSB, you need to press the tailgate button 2x to open. Truck engine must be off.

isis

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I had the recall and don’t have to hit it twice. Only the key fob needs a double tap but it always has.

isis

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
They definitely changed the harness. But yeah, I don’t think it does that. I’ll check the engine off part.

Old-Raptor-guy

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Q
They definitely changed the harness. But yeah, I don’t think it does that. I’ll check the engine off part.
They did not reprogram the BCM then. Which honestly I was thinking of doing without the harness. The harness modification is quite extensive and as a mechanic I have a hard time having others touch my shit.
And to do the recall requires the dealer to do it (I can reprogram BCM myself).

OP
OP
Sonicsunspot

Sonicsunspot

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The double tap at the tailgate button doesn’t work for me. Double tap fob works fine. I am pretty sure I have never had the recall done (as hard as it is to get my dealer to do it, must be a pain).

I suppose the button, or the connection at the button could be bad.

BIZZnice

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just posted a similar thread…I have 22’, my tailgate will not delatch, I get a ding when I hit the button. I have tried manual mode in sync and that does nothing, still receive the ding. I have unplugged the tailgate release and Module fuses. The beeping goes away but the tailgate will not move. It’s just a button I have no way to physically or manually open the tailgate. It has been stuck now consistently for over a couple weeks. I do know that it was opened with the truck off and it was manually shut because the button would not close it

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
khunter