Drive Control Malfunction

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Phil O

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just bought a 2020 Raptor. On my way from the dealership to my home, the truck died when I stopped for a stop sign. A message displayed - “drive control malfunction service required.” I restarted the truck, got it going about 3 blocks, and the message reappeared again. The truck did not stall the second time the message appeared.

The truck only has 119 miles. WTH ?!? I did a search and saw at least two people with the same error message - but no mention of truck stalling. Any ideas what’s going on? I hope I didn’t buy a lemon.

View attachment 138325
So I just took my 2019 Raptor into the dealer as I’ve been having this go on and off the past 6 weeks and finally it just came on stayed on. Shocks felt weird too. Service guys at ford called me and asked if I installed the rigid radiance fog lights myself or had a shop do it. I did it myself. They said when installing a wire was cut which connected to the passenger side front shocks which caused the issue. I only messed with the set of auxiliary wires and the “dead” wires tucked away near the auxiliary. Idk if that is true or why it took weeks for the issue. Plus I saw this sensor issue on before I even installed the shocks. On a side note, I did have Eibach springs installed also and they didn’t even notice or mention that I had aftermarket springs on. The funny thing is that a few days after I brought my truck in for servicing at this ford dealer is when that “drive control malfunction” sensor came on, which was about an hour before I had the springs installed. Also a couple weeks prior to installing the fog lights. But the sensor shut off after.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Navy Doc

Navy Doc

Reaction score
I don't think that your lights are to blame. I mean the truck is prewired for accessories and idk how they are connected to the shocks. In my case it was brand new right off the dealers lot when it happened. After the second day of owning the truck it hasn't had this issue since. So I am on the fence whether I should get the module that is generating the code replaced. The parts needed won't arrive until at least another week so we'll see if it comes back.

Phil O

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't think that your lights are to blame. I mean the truck is prewired for accessories and idk how they are connected to the shocks. In my case it was brand new right off the dealers lot when it happened. After the second day of owning the truck it hasn't had this issue since. So I am on the fence whether I should get the module that is generating the code replaced. The parts needed won't arrive until at least another week so we'll see if it comes back.
Yeah, that was my initial thought. Although the harness with “dead” wires could possibly but I wouldn’t know for sure. That’s all I was told. I guess I will find out if the warning sensor comes on again...

Phil O

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, the malfunction light and message came back on again today. Smh. I guess it wasn’t that dead wire they tried blaming it on last time. I knew it wasn’t but hard to argue it until now. Trucks back in the shop for a second time. Disappointed with Ford thus far.

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Well, the malfunction light and message came back on again today. Smh. I guess it wasn’t that dead wire they tried blaming it on last time. I knew it wasn’t but hard to argue it until now. Trucks back in the shop for a second time. Disappointed with Ford thus far.

Ford Corporate provides no-cost internet based and classroom training to all dealership technicians to prepare them for "one off" issues such as this. Unfortunately, Ford Corporate has zero control over the dealer's ability to diagnose the issue unless it comes to the point of a Field Service Engineer getting involved. My recommendation is to first ask the dealer as to whether the technician diagnosing the issue is certified in the area of concern; if not, that is unacceptable especially with a repeat repair. If the technician is certified, ask whether they have contacted the Ford Technical Assistance Center. (TAC). Often times just providing the symptoms and DTCs to the TAC will allow them to assist the technician with identifying and resolving the issue.

Last edited:

Phil O

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ford Corporate provides no-cost internet based and classroom training to all dealership technicians to prepare them for "one off" issues such as this. Unfortunately, Ford Corporate has zero control over the dealer's ability to diagnose the issue unless it comes to the point of a Field Service Engineer getting involved. My recommendation is to first ask the dealer as to whether the technician diagnosing the issue is certified in the area of concern; if not, that is unacceptable especially with a repeat repair. If the technician is certified, ask whether they have contacted the Ford Technical Assistance Center. (TAC). Often times just providing the symptoms and DTCs to the TAC will allow them to assist the technician with identifying and resolving the issue.
Thanks. Talked to my service guy at the end of the day today and he said they’ll have to keep my truck again overnight and that the tech had the truck up in the air and was on the phone with ford or something. Hopefully they figure it out so I can get my truck back.

911 Crazy

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Have just finished reading this thread and will make (what I think) is my best "guess" as to what happened. You are in CA and prolly about 100 miles from Ol' Mexico. Well your truck, sir...ran the Baja 1000! And then they drove it in reverse all the way home to erase the miles. Go back to the dealer and asked what place the truck finished and then demand a new truck......but keep the trophy. My .02.