Drive Control Malfunction

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TXRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Went to the dealer and made them fit me in. They tell me that the issue is a module in the right shock that adjusts the ride height, and they need to order a new one to replace it. Until then I can’t change drive modes. Sounds similar to an issue experienced by someone who posted here not long ago, where the cause of the error involved the shocks.

I’ll keep you posted. Thanks for the advice so far.

Programming a truck to shut off (stall) when it senses a problem with a single shock, seems excessively over protective to me. I would confirm that was the only problem they found and then, ask if that is considered normal on a 75K truck. Sending a warning message to your display screen is one thing, stalling the truck to protect it from a sensor failure, is a whole new level of “electronics gone bad”.

Silatj

Reaction score
Could just be a bad auto start switch. When I bought mine I got a code the next day. Took it in Had a bad E brake switch

OP
OP
Navy Doc

Navy Doc

Reaction score
Could just be a bad auto start switch. When I bought mine I got a code the next day. Took it in Had a bad E brake switch

Yeah I am not sure anymore. Dealer did diagnostic and said code led to right shock. Part they need to replace is back ordered until March 17. This is the dealer I bought vehicle from, which is a 2 hour drive.

Went to local one and they said they are so backed up I have to leave vehicle with them over the weekend just so they do a diagnose. The service lot was so full I could barely get out of the lot.

Oddly enough I haven’t had an issue since turning off cylinder deactivation. I wonder if this is somehow involved.

I uploaded the print out they gave me.

04F62E47-ADCA-4802-9CD1-6F6F5484438D.jpeg

Denyen

Reaction score
the reason the raptors and any ford specialty vehicle has so many miles on it , when its manufactured and shipped it goes to apex 10 different locations around Detroit when the load to ship its computer is put into shipping mode which ford does so the idiots among us can't take it off and joy ride it. it will only power up to 2200rpm and 120HP. when it gets to the dealer the computer is tweaked to normal and the dealer takes it for a 30 mile drive to make sure it doesn't do what your rig is doing.plus the dealer can track every mile it was driven to the different locations when it was assembled its not just done in 1 plant. I know I flipped when my brand new truck being unloaded off the car carrier had 50 miles that's when they showed me the places it went to for assembly and told me about all this and it had to be driven for 40 miles by them.I have a '14 and a'19 they are kick ass engineering marvels for the money.most do not realize what they have under their asses.unbelieveable rigs
Sounds about right. My new off the showroom floor truck had 62 miles and came from a dealership that does not allow test drives on Raptors or Mustangs. HOWEVER, while washing it the first time i noticed sand particles under the hood, in the sunroof opening and hard to clean spots under the frame. The nearest beach is 18 miles from dealership. So unless the original factory testing included sand dunes.......... After 15k miles of my own TESTING, No problems.

davea

Reaction score
I don't know why Ford put that stop and start in a Raptor or even a twin hair dryer V6 in them. They need to go back to the 6.2 L V8 and a decent trany. They can get lots more HP out of that V8 if they wanted to. After all they built the truck for off road not a go to Sunday School vehicle. I like the looks of the new ones but till they go back to a V8 and get rid of half the garabge electronic they have on them now Ill keep my 2011 Raptor. No problems and the Raptor form would be alot smaller.

OP
OP
Navy Doc

Navy Doc

Reaction score
Start stop in a sports truck makes as much sense as baptizing a cat. The last car I owned that had this feature was a hybrid commuter car - which made sense. But not in a Raptor.

Johnkn

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Oddly enough I haven’t had an issue since turning off cylinder deactivation. I wonder if this is somehow involved.

View attachment 138464

2 things you said make zero sense. 1) there is no cylinder deactivation. 2) you said the dealer stated the rear shock controls ride height. If I heard that from my dealer I would go to another dealer because that isn’t true....

Looks to me like you have a simple suspension fault, and when you stop the truck it turns off via auto start/stop. The suspension fault won’t allow you to change drive modes.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Navy Doc

Navy Doc

Reaction score
2 things you said make zero sense. 1) there is no cylinder deactivation. 2) you said the dealer stated the rear shock controls ride height. If I heard that from my dealer I would go to another dealer because that isn’t true....
I am still new to this vehicle. What I meant was the start stop function. I have been pushing the button to turn it off when I drive and haven’t had the issue.

As for the suspension comment, that’s what the advisor said. I was bit confused since to my knowledge only RAM offered a suspension that adjusted height and firmness, while the Raptor shocks only had firmness adjustment. Maybe he meant suspension travel? Idk. As long as the technician working on the truck knows what he’s doing... he’s supposedly going by the code generated by the truck computer.

Johnkn

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Do you feel comfortable putting the truck in Sport mode? Do you know how? Do you see it display Sport mode in the instrument cluster?

You have a suspension fault which prohibits changing drive modes, and the truck is cutting off when you stop because the auto stop/start is functioning....

Last edited:
OP
OP
Navy Doc

Navy Doc

Reaction score
Do you feel comfortable putting the truck in Sport mode? Do you know how? Do you see it display Sport mode in the instrument cluster?
Yes. The second time it stalled and the warning popped up the truck was in sports mode. It was my understanding that this mode turns off start stop, but the button on the dash didn’t light up.

The only thing I did different today was place it in sport mode and then push the button. Then normal mode, and pushed the button again. No issues. It could be a coincidence. I guess I’ll keep pushing the button and driving it and see what happens. I have until end of March before I take it in to replace the module mentioned by the dealer.