Drive Control Malfunction

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

skerzz

Reaction score
I don't know why Ford put that stop and start in a Raptor or even a twin hair dryer V6 in them. They need to go back to the 6.2 L V8 and a decent trany. They can get lots more HP out of that V8 if they wanted to. After all they built the truck for off road not a go to Sunday School vehicle. I like the looks of the new ones but till they go back to a V8 and get rid of half the garabge electronic they have on them now Ill keep my 2011 Raptor. No problems and the Raptor form would be alot smaller.

They can get a lot more HP out of the TT 3.5L V6 as well if they wanted to and it was safe (i.e. Ford legal signs off on it). Why does it have to be a big heavy NA V8 when a lighter & more fuel efficient TT V6 can get the job done with better HP and TQ numbers?

The "garbage electronics" are actually pretty nice when they are working. If engineers shared your thoughts we'd all still be riding horses to and from the trading outpost and there would be no internet platform for which you could leverage for trolling expeditions. I can picture it now - you standing outside the trading outpost trolling folks for adopting the latest technology in transportation while claiming your shoe-less/saddle-less horse is superior because it's not outfitted with unproven technology. :)

I don't know about you, but I enjoy being able to see if I'm about to run over a small child/pet when backing out of my garage and traversing the desert in a truck with shocks that automatically adjust to the terrain while streaming my favorite spotify playlist through Apple carplay. crank the stereo loud enough and you won't even notice that the TT V6 makes less noise than that old 6.2L V8

Johnkn

FRF Addict
Reaction score
How do you know the truck was in Sport mode?

My advice, when you get in the truck tomorrow do not push the auto stop/start button, simply put the truck in Sport mode and drive.

How did you put the truck in Sport mode?

OP
OP
Navy Doc

Navy Doc

Reaction score
How do you know the truck was in Sport mode?

My advice, when you get in the truck tomorrow do not push the auto stop/start button, simply put the truck in Sport mode and drive.

How did you put the truck in Sport mode?
I used the mode button on the steering wheel and cycled it to sports mode. The icon on the dash confirmed it. Shifting pattern and throttle response changed drastically. Kind of wish this was the standard mode.

I’ll try your suggestion tomorrow and see what happens. I’ll also try standard mode. If it stalls or codes in either I’ll then try those modes with the button pushed.

Johnkn

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Again, get in the truck tomorrow and immediately put it in Sport mode, do not push the AS/S button, just drive it. the engine should not stop when the truck comes to a stop. You may or may not get a suspension fault, that is seemingly unrelated. But drive for a day in Sport mode to see if the engine even cuts off.

BTW, in normal mode with AS/S working, the engine powers down when the truck comes to a stop, and starts back up when you step on the accelerator.

Good luck.

PS, I had the same suspension fault in December when a squirrel chewed through the line on my right rear shock.

OP
OP
Navy Doc

Navy Doc

Reaction score
Again, get in the truck tomorrow and immediately put it in Sport mode, do not push the AS/S button, just drive it. the engine should not stop when the truck comes to a stop. You may or may not get a suspension fault, that is seemingly unrelated. But drive for a day in Sport mode to see if the engine even cuts off.

BTW, in normal mode with AS/S working, the engine powers down when the truck comes to a stop, and starts back up when you step on the accelerator.

Good luck.

PS, I had the same suspension fault in December when a squirrel chewed through the line on my right rear shock.

Yes I am aware of AS/S in normal mode - it’s the same as the one my Honda CR-Z had. The first time it was definitely a full stall, not an AS/S engine shut off. In addition to the Drive Control Malfunction announcement, the engine stopped. Letting go of brakes or stepping on accelerator did nothing. I pushed the starter button and it told me to place vehicle in park first. Once I did that and pushed the starter button, the car started. A few blocks later the Drive Control Malfunction warning came on again, but it did not stall.

The second time it happened I was in sports mode. Again the engine stopped, the warning appeared, and stepping on gas did nothing. But this time just placing the shifter in park made the engine start on its own.

The only thing both times had in common was that I was fully stopped and let go of the brake to get ready to accelerate. As soon as I let the brake go the engine died in both instances.

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
Yes. The second time it stalled and the warning popped up the truck was in sports mode. It was my understanding that this mode turns off start stop, but the button on the dash didn’t light up.

Unless the behavior has changed since ’17, when you select sport mode, it toggles off ASS and the dash button lights up. So, either there’s a misunderstanding - not an accusation, as you said the vehicle is new to you - or the mode isn’t actually changing, or your dash light isn’t functional. The latter seems unlikely because you can selectively turn off ASS.

OP
OP
Navy Doc

Navy Doc

Reaction score
Unless the behavior has changed since ’17, when you select sport mode, it toggles off ASS and the dash button lights up. So, either there’s a misunderstanding - not an accusation, as you said the vehicle is new to you - or the mode isn’t actually changing, or your dash light isn’t functional. The latter seems unlikely because you can selectively turn off ASS.
It could be that I am going senile lol. Tomorrow I am going to do a lot of testing between modes and take pictures of the dash and button. Then record everything on a log. Will make it much easier to retrieve info. Yep. This is day 3 of owning this truck.

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
The second time it happened I was in sports mode. Again the engine stopped, the warning appeared, and stepping on gas did nothing. But this time just placing the shifter in park made the engine start on its own.

this is a quirk, oddity or misbehavior of ASS. I get it sometimes when I forget to disable it and come to a stop at a gas station, then lazily put the truck in park, and vroom - she fires right back up- just in time for me to shut the truck down again.

Most times I don’t mind auto stop / start. there are a few instances I don’t like it and since going to big amps on the stereo, I’m rapidly not liking it because the restart drops my voltage at the amps down to about 11.? enough to put the amps in protect mode for a few seconds. I’ve been disabling it for months and not missing it. I intend to miss auto stop start a lot less now because I’ve disabled it.

OP
OP
Navy Doc

Navy Doc

Reaction score
this is a quirk, oddity or misbehavior of ASS. I get it sometimes when I forget to disable it and come to a stop at a gas station, then lazily put the truck in park, and vroom - she fires right back up- just in time for me to shut the truck down again.

Most times I don’t mind auto stop / start. there are a few instances I don’t like it and since going to big amps on the stereo, I’m rapidly not liking it because the restart drops my voltage at the amps down to about 11.? enough to put the amps in protect mode for a few seconds. I’ve been disabling it for months and not missing it. I intend to miss auto stop start a lot less now because I’ve disabled it.
I am leaning towards trying my intune tool to see if I can disable it permanently to see if I get any more issues. If I don’t get any more issues I think we know the culprit.

Before I go that route, I’ll drive it without touching the AS/S button in normal and sports mode and see what happens.

FoShizzle

Reaction score
My money is on it being related to the Auto start/stop system. I remember seeing this before. Subscribed for the update from the OP.