Does your pipes look like piece of s*%#?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

gto19

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Has anyone just removed the tips completely and maybe just doing some turn downs under the truck near the spare tire somewhere .ive thought about it

Raptorguy1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I wouldn't do the POR-15... It doesn't fare well to UV rays, doesn't stick very well either.
I bought some semi-gloss engine paint I was going to use, but I think I'll have them powder coated when take the tailpipes off to add my BD backup lights.
-Satch
I don't think this POR-15 is the stuff your referring to. That thick goo has been around for ages and is widely used for old cars on floors and frames and indeed dulls from U V. This is a paint that's supposed to stand up to 1200 degree temps. I don't think engine paint will withstand more than around 500.

JohnyPython

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I would try an oil or WD40 with a nylon brush to see if the flat black comesback. Maybe some gun cleaner/oil if you got it.

Or repaint with a high heat/bbq spray bomb.

Last edited:

Gilligan

Reaction score
My 2018’s look like crap after 4K miles. I’m gonna try some PB Blaster I think

EricM

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Scotchbrite, wipe with alcohol, mask, paint, done.

Did the tips on my '13 and they look great still after a few thousand miles. They are right behind the tire too. If they get ****** up, I'll do it again.

I use this paint https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01MZFKX8B/?tag=fordraptorforum-20

Works good on the rusty hitch, shackles, springs and any faded plastic parts like the trailer plug housing too.

HGguy

Reaction score
I don't have a pic right now but my 2017 with 26000 miles isn't changing color but all the paint is coming off. I have lots of salt to deal with during the summer and the only good way to clean out under the truck is with a pressure washer. My pipes are virtually bare steel. I also considered the black chrome Borla tips but at $850 + it seems like a bit much for cosmetic exhaust pipes. I bet they'd look real nice though. Who ever is considering the scotch bright or abrasive cleaner technique, keep in mind you won't be cleaning the paint but rather removing the paint.
I'm leaning more in the direction of a heat resistant flat black paint and just repaint each time they start to look crappy again. I'll keep checking back in case someone comes up with a novel cost effective fix.