Does your pipes look like piece of s*%#?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

pierceography

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The tips no. U can buy them for 40 bucks on eBay but to put them on u have to cut the stock tips... no thank u

Congrats on your truck!!!

Huh, didn't realize you had to cut the tips off. Well that definitely makes it more annoying. I suppose it's something I'll just deal with unless it becomes obnoxious.

And thanks. They're great trucks (but I'm sure you already know that). Looking forward to putting it through the laps (proverbially and otherwise) in the coming months.

TK85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have the black chrome borla tail pipes on my 18 and the tips are definitely better quality than the stock tips. But since they are black you have to watch with scratching so if you are not careful then they will look like trash like the stock ones

JD_27

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My ‘19 already has the black flaking off, I was going to either do a ghetto rattle can black or just get a Borla setup but either way it’s pretty disappointing for a brand new truck.

NE Raptor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What are you guys using to clean them? Its matte paint so its much different. I only use dawn dish soap on mine and sealed with chemical guys matte sealant. Harley also makes a cleaner called denim cleaner for matte bikes, it works very well. I also own a black denim road glide and caring for this style paint is much different than typical paint. Carwash that contains wax will make it look faded.

OP
OP
Dirtypope

Dirtypope

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What are you guys using to clean them? Its matte paint so its much different. I only use dawn dish soap on mine and sealed with chemical guys matte sealant. Harley also makes a cleaner called denim cleaner for matte bikes, it works very well. I also own a black denim road glide and caring for this style paint is much different than typical paint. Carwash that contains wax will make it look faded.
I’m from Chicago and even now in March when you see temperature above 32 that’s consider very warm.. Salt is everywhere.. we just had heavy rains few days ago and i still got salt on my shoes. I got my car in November and I had no chance go off-roading yet, so typical normal driving. No matter what i use and how good I clean it it’s not good enough. I used stuff that I used on my motorcycle and it’s still bad. Do I really care about the tips? No not really but I’m just surprised how ford is not paying attention to details like that... do they know about the problem? Yes they do and they will tell you the metal used it will turn to brown color so that’s normal..

The tips are my less concern. You should see my rear axle! I’m waiting till it gets 70 degrees.. maybe late May and I’ll do the undercoating on it... I already did it under my car but for some reason they don’t spay axle.. if you ask they will but I prefer do it my self

Jimmy Snooka

Reaction score
I find it reassuring that others are having a similar issue. I have a little over 13k miles on mine and I've found that I can get the rest of the truck looking showroom clean...except the tips.
It's just the tip, but still!

_Satch_

Reaction score
I would tend to think it's the paint and not the tips themselves. Get some high heat paint and see if that holds up any better. Mine still look fine at a little over 900 miles. If they start to look bad, that's what I'll try.
https://www.amazon.com/POR-15-44116-Black-Temperature-Paint/dp/B00J6AMCBA/ref=sr_1_8?hvadid=174288333251&hvdev=c&hvlocphy=9030104&hvnetw=g&hvpos=1t1&hvqmt=e&hvrand=10855993113730990022&hvtargid=aud-649564993678:kwd-13692887072&keywords=black+high+heat+paint&qid=1552359618&s=gateway&sr=8-8&tag=googhydr-20

I wouldn't do the POR-15... It doesn't fare well to UV rays, doesn't stick very well either.
I bought some semi-gloss engine paint I was going to use, but I think I'll have them powder coated when take the tailpipes off to add my BD backup lights.
-Satch