DIY Oil Change?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

HoustonRider

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's all too easy. Go to Walmart, but Mobil 1 synthetic, a Motorcraft filter, some shop towels, an oil filter wrench, some windshield wiper fluid and an oil drain pan and crawl ur ass under and do it urself.

Take the old oil back to the same Walmart, walk around to the auto area and drain it in their recycle container. The oil will be cheaper than if you paid a genius to do it, and you know you did it yourself.

And it's just a Raptor, I've seen $400k Rolls at Mr Car Wash getting an oil change, the Raptor is still a truck. Lol.

Get er done yourself!

Sent from my Truck

Rookie

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
I can see why some would pay to do it though. In the vehicles I cherish I always do it myself but in some of my vehicles it's easier and cheaper to take it to a shop who's having an oil change sale. Can't beat $15 to $20 for an oil change.

Red

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Ansoil? Sounds like snake oil. I just change my filter and add a little oil to save money. Oil changes are too expensive.:joke: Do it yourself or take it to the dealer.

Raptor911

FRF Addict
Reaction score
You have never heard of Amsoil (the 1st company to create synthetics)? You must be joking.

Ansoil? Sounds like snake oil. I just change my filter and add a little oil to save money. Oil changes are too expensive.:joke: Do it yourself or take it to the dealer.

Last edited:

formuladriver01

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm an aviation mechanic so my maintenance practices are pretty strict. I do all my own work, have all my tools silhouetted, and conduct ataf(all tools accounted for) at the end of the job. I don't think I could trust someone else doing maintenance on my own truck. The navy has strict rules when it comes to maintenance on helicopters and jets for obvious reasons.

Back to the O.P.

The oil change is pretty basic and doesn't take to much time. Just keep the receipts in case there is ever a warranty issue.

Jobsitefish

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am going to be honest and admit that I have never done an oil change on a vehicle. I have used Mobil 1 on my current truck and that's what I am planning on using for the raptor. The cost at the dealership is not a biggie but I am always worried about the 18 year old kids they have driving the vehicles. I have had rims scratched around curves and I have seen worse. I take care of the other misc stuff like filters, etc. I usually get stressed out everytime I go in for an oil change (I have to admit I am OCD with cars).

Something else that pissess me off is when they park all the serviced vehicles acouple of inches away from others in some crowded parking lot. Nobody really thinks about these things when it is not their truck. I am really thinking about learning how to do it and stay away from the dealership. With the diy threads on this site and a one time help from a buddy (and a couple of beers) I should be able to figure it out.

My biggest concern is warranty though. Do we have any Ford people that could comment on this?

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Tab 7 Plus