Josh’s “Reed” buildup thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jdm_sixtwo

11MPG is average, right?
Reaction score
So I didn’t really think my truck would ever justify some sort of build up thread but I can’t stop buying things for it so I might as well do a small one. Day I bought the truck Feb 25 2023, completely stock besides some crappy Chinese headlights.IMG_1753.jpeg
Tossed running boards and tonneau cover and got a toolbox. Eventually found a cheap ADD bumper and threw that on.
IMG_2524.jpeg
Then, tore the front end apart to replace a leaky timing cover, and while I was at it I installed Gen2 shocks up front and Freedom Control arms.IMG_3108.jpeg
Then just some new Fuel Trophies and tiresIMG_4945.jpeg

rschap1

FRF Addict
Reaction score
SO...
I will ask you as I have a LOT of others already, what did you do to get the Gen2 shocks on?
Just swap the Gen1 springs around them and install?
Any issues? too long? over travel?
or
did you do something to adapt them?
Get the Gen2s used or but new ones?
Rears too?
THANKS very much ! ! !
Seems about 50/50 from what I been seeing and reading so far; some replace the originals with Gen2s, others replace coil buckets or rebuild shocks with shorter lower end adapters.
I need new shocks and STILL debating best way to go.

OP
OP
jdm_sixtwo

jdm_sixtwo

11MPG is average, right?
Reaction score
SO...
I will ask you as I have a LOT of others already, what did you do to get the Gen2 shocks on?
Just swap the Gen1 springs around them and install?
Any issues? too long? over travel?
or
did you do something to adapt them?
Get the Gen2s used or but new ones?
Rears too?
THANKS very much ! ! !
Seems about 50/50 from what I been seeing and reading so far; some replace the originals with Gen2s, others replace coil buckets or rebuild shocks with shorter lower end adapters.
I need new shocks and STILL debating best way to go.
I scored a set of Gen2 shocks from a 2018 for $100. They had 35k miles. Put the gen1 spring and top hat on the gen2 shocks and then put it all together. You’ll want to delete the sway bar to make install easier and ride better. No buckets, no Mikra kit. I am not easy on this truck and it regularly gets blasted down an 8 mile dirt road here around 90 the whole time in bumps and small jumps and has been perfect. Much more planted up front. My rear shocks are still gen1 2.5s and are blown but I haven’t gotten to that yet. Everything here is budget lol but unless you are doing hardcore Baja stuff, gen2 struts will be just fine. I do however have two torn CV axle boots but no click it. The trakmotive extended axles are horrible do not buy them they blow very fast. I’ll be putting on the SDHQ boot kit to save my axles soon.