37PP Overlanding Build Thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jm77

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It was a gross oversite on my part. I overestimated the SAT coverage provided by the truck. Reviewing the trip ND, SD, and MT were the problematic areas. There were at least two time I had to use paper maps because dirt roads were closed and the local municipalities had not set up detours.....we were very very lucky.

When you say SAT coverage are you talking about the trucks stock navigation system? If so, your not out of SAT (GPS) range, the trucks system just isn’t meant for that. Get yourself a Garmin inreach to use as a GPS beacon and download a mapping app like Gaia to your tablet. Simple setup like this will give you navigation ability plus texting (and SOS) ability through GPS. I can pretty much guarantee you didn’t travel to anywhere with no “SAT” coverage.

P.s. if your traveling off-road you probably shouldn’t expect local municipalities to create detours for closed roads. This ain’t the city…

OP
OP
S

SVTGUY21

Reaction score
I had a 2020 Raptor I built up for Overlanding. I ended up selling it for a 2023. Had the Roof Rack and containers, the goofy shovel and axe holders, Molly panels all over the place, the Decked System, the bed rack, awning and RTT. Ended up pretty frustrated with the rear sag. Basically eliminated most of my suspension travel for off roading. Also had substantial wheel, wheel well rubbing. So reducing weight became my #1 priority. The decked System was the first to go. Not a fan of it. Damn thing weighs 200lbs empty, replaced with four stackable bins at 4lbs each. Next I got rid of all the stupid molle panels I was never using. Then I sold my awful 190lb Roofnest Overland Tent and replaced it with an awesome IKamper Mini at 120lbs. Lastly I added the rear Dever HD +4's and that took care of the awful sag. I invested a lot of money in all that stuff to end up selling the truck and essentially losing most of my overland investments. Im still Overlanding in my 2023, however everything I add to this truck, I weigh it and ask myself "am I actually going to use it?" . All Ive added is front and back Eibach Springs that lifts the truck about 2", Yakima cross bars (16lbs) to hold my 120lb I Kamper RTT and my minimal awning (42lbs.) I use the bin system, don't carry more than 3 gallons of water. Thats all Im doing to it. It's done and I get all the Overland benefits without burying it in unnecessary weight. It drives amazing with all my carefully selected gear and best of all Zero sag or rubbing while off roading. BTW, Im not judging your set up. If it works for you then thats all that matters, instead Im letting you know my experience with the trucks sagging/weight problems. Theres some options out there if the Sag begins to bother you.
Thanks for sharing, I'm sure a lot of people agree with you. The sagging bothered me at first but after driving the **** out of truck and putting the truck in what ever situation I wanted, I realized my concerns were based on cosmetics and not performance. I think Ford states payload capacity is 1k, I swaged our additional weight to be around 800lbs. I felt safe in regards to over burdening the suspension.
I'm not sure if you read the earlier post but I've through hiked the PCT and I'm very very familiar with weight savings in particular scrutinizing items for weight vs use. The only thing I didn't use was the traction boards. The awning while more of a 1st world commodity provided protection from the elements. It was nice to be clear of the rain, hail, and sun. The decked cargo slide was a freaking god send, it saved me so much heart ache from climbing in and out of the truck bed.
I'm guessing there is 275lbs in the back now with the cargo slide, bed rack, and softopper. The truck has a even flat stance and is geting 16.5mpg combined....couldn't be happier.
However, I will find a set of HD rear springs if/when I Overland with more people which will add more weight.

slimmytimmy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It sounds like you had some serious fun. I was not aware that my onX app aka onXmaps.com would hook up to my screen in my truck through CarPlay. I forgot to download the map for NM, but my son did it before our hunting trip a couple weeks back. It showed every single road, fence lines, water tanks, private vs. public property. I would highly recommend it.

Attachments

• 7A9BAAAE-A848-4A71-81E2-85381A678C5F.jpeg
    7A9BAAAE-A848-4A71-81E2-85381A678C5F.jpeg
    158.4 KB · Views: 25
  • 943805AE-F62E-4191-ADCC-16CC51DBC19A.jpeg
    943805AE-F62E-4191-ADCC-16CC51DBC19A.jpeg
    206.4 KB · Views: 25
  • A4C1255C-8168-4188-B7DB-167C00AB09AE.jpeg
    A4C1255C-8168-4188-B7DB-167C00AB09AE.jpeg
    219.6 KB · Views: 25

chipw

Reaction score
Looks like an awesome trip. My wife and I spent 3 weeks living out of our raptor earlier this fall. The the trucks do indeed make camping fun, especially the getting there part. Cant wait to do it again