DHM Exhaust Cut Out- Pics

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SCelebs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My truck is slower with the cutout open than it is with it closed. I think they were invented just there to show people that spend tons of $$$$ on an after market exhaust that less back pressure doesn't really increase HP.

Same goes for a CAI in my book. My truck doesn't run much faster when it's cold outside than when it's hot outside.

These statements will likely bring a rain storm of shit on my head, but i'm ready. Bring it.

Even if you mount it right before the muffler? I dont see how that would lessen power that far back. I can see it making you lose torque if you mounted it right behind the headers but not right before the muffler.

FlounderStalker

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Even if you mount it right before the muffler? I dont see how that would lessen power that far back. I can see it making you lose torque if you mounted it right behind the headers but not right before the muffler.

The difference is slight at best, but it did demonstrate to me that the muffler is not the piece causing back pressure and changing it does not improve HP. Contrary to what the Cat Back sales people would like you to believe.

SCelebs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The difference is slight at best, but it did demonstrate to me that the muffler is not the piece causing back pressure and changing it does not improve HP. Contrary to what the Cat Back sales people would like you to believe.

Yeah I agree with you on that. The stock system is a pretty good setup in terms of free - flowing ability. Not going to get that much out of all of these expensive cat backs.

OP
OP
xBX

xBX

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah I agree with you on that. The stock system is a pretty good setup in terms of free - flowing ability. Not going to get that much out of all of these expensive cat backs.

Exactly why id rather spend the 700+ (magnaflow system) somewhere else, on something else. I think borlas are 12xx+

The cut out ran me 275 installed, I get a bigger noise, (you lose some performance when opened due to loss of back pressure, dont matter to me i aint racin), I get to close it and not have a drone when im doing long distances...

Those 2 right there sold me on the idea, yes there are negatives but to each their own..

SilverBolt

Hired Gun
Reaction score
My truck is slower with the cutout open than it is with it closed. I think they were invented just there to show people that spend tons of $$$$ on an after market exhaust that less back pressure doesn't really increase HP.

Same goes for a CAI in my book. My truck doesn't run much faster when it's cold outside than when it's hot outside.

These statements will likely bring a rain storm of shit on my head, but i'm ready. Bring it.

Actually you are 100% on target. The restriction in the stock exhaust is at the manifold and stock cats. After the cats is not real relevant. A CAI on a N/A motor is a complete waste of money without a tune. With a tune the gains are very small. Catback systems are one of the biggest farces in the automotive aftermarket. Why replace the one section of exhaust with the least amount of restriction?

OP
OP
xBX

xBX

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Pics up. Video will be up shortly

FlounderStalker

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Actually you are 100% on target. The restriction in the stock exhaust is at the manifold and stock cats. After the cats is not real relevant. A CAI on a N/A motor is a complete waste of money without a tune. With a tune the gains are very small. Catback systems are one of the biggest farces in the automotive aftermarket. Why replace the one section of exhaust with the least amount of restriction?

Your ******' kidding me!!!! I'm RIGHT???? Holly shit!!!! Bird and Shaggy - I want to change my NO vote on Rep Points to a YES. Now I want some of them damn things. It just goes to show you - If you hang around this forum long enough, some of the other guys SMARTS is bound to wear off on ya.
:peace::waytogo::peace:

BIRDMAN

Birdministrator
Reaction score
Your ******' kidding me!!!! I'm RIGHT???? Holly shit!!!! Bird and Shaggy - I want to change my NO vote on Rep Points to a YES. Now I want some of them damn things. It just goes to show you - If you hang around this forum long enough, some of the other guys SMARTS is bound to wear off on ya.
:peace::waytogo::peace:

here's how many rep points i'll give you :flipthebird:

pirate air

will plunder your booty
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What I pasted below I think is a very informative read. I'm not sure who wrote it but I think it may have come from a guy named Philip H. Smith. He has a book called Scientific Design of Exhaust & Intake Systems. I understand he is THE MAN when it comes to intake and exhaust design; even auto manufacture engineers go to him to learn.

"Before we delve into the dark art of exhaust theory, let's take a quick journey through the exhaust system from the perspective of the exhaust gases.

As the piston approaches top dead center, the spark plug fires igniting a fireball just as the piston rocks over into the power stroke. The piston transfers the energy of the expanding gases to the crankshaft as the exhaust valve starts to open in the last part of the power stroke. The gas pressure is still high (70 to 90 p.s.i.) causing a rapid escape of the gases (blowdown). A pressure wave is generated as the valve continues to open. Gases can flow at an average speed of over 350 ft/sec, but the pressure wave travels at the speed of sound (and is dependent on gas temperature). Expanding exhaust gases rush into the port and down the primary header pipe. At the end of the pipe, the gases and waves converge at the collector. In the collector, the gases expand quickly as the waves propagate into all of the available orifices including the other primary tubes. The gases and some of the wave energy flow into the collector outlet and out the tail pipe.

Based on the above visualization, two basic phenomenon are at work in the exhaust system: gas particle movement and pressure wave activity. The absolute pressure differential between the cylinder and the atmosphere determines gas particle speed. As the gases travel down the pipe and expand, the speed decreases. The pressure waves, on the other hand, base their speed on the speed of sound. While the wave speed also decreases as they travel down the pipe due to gas cooling, the speed will increase again as the wave is reflected back up the pipe towards the cylinder. At all times, the speed of the wave action is much greater than the speed of the gas particles. Waves behave much differently than gas particles when a junction is encountered in the pipe. When two or more pipes come together, as in a collector for example, the waves travel into all of the available pipes - backwards as well as forwards. Waves are also reflected back up the original pipe, but with a negative pressure. The strength of the wave reflection is based on the area change compared to the area of the originating pipe.

This reflecting, negative pulse energy is the basis of wave action tuning. The basic idea is to time the negative wave pulse reflection to coincide with the period of overlap - this low pressure helps to pull in a fresh intake charge as the intake valve is opening and helps to remove the residual exhaust gases before the exhaust valve closes. Typically this phenomenon is controlled by the length of the primary header pipe. Due to the 'critical timing' aspect of this tuning technique, there may be parts of the power curve where more harm than good is done.

Gas speed is a double edged sword as well, too much gas speed indicates that that the system may be too restrictive hurting top end power, while too little gas speed tends to make the power curve excessively 'peaky' hurting low end torque. Larger diameter tubes allow the gases to expand; this cools the gases, slowing down both the gases and the waves.

Exhaust system design is a balancing act between all of these complex events and their timing. Even with the best compromise of exhaust pipe diameter and length, the collector outlet sizing can make or break the best design. The bottom line on any exhaust system design is to create the best, most useful power curve. All theory aside, the final judgement is how the engine likes the exhaust tuning on the dyno and on the track.

Various exhaust designs have evolved over the years from theory, but the majority are still being built from 'cut & try' experimenting. Only lately have computer programs like X-design or high end engine simulation programs been able to help in this process. Practical tools like adjustable length primary pipes and our B-TEC and DynoSYS adjustable collectors allow quicker design changes on the dyno or in the car. When considering a header design, the following points need to be considered:

1) Header primary pipe diameter (also whether constant size or stepped pipes).
2) Primary pipe overall length.
3) Collector package including the number of pipes per collector and the outlet sizing.
4) Megaphone/tailpipe package.
There are many ideas about header pipe sizing. Usually the primary pipe sizing is related to exhaust valve and port size. Header pipe length is dependent on wave tuning (or lack of it). Typically, longer pipes tune for lower r.p.m. power and the shorter pipes favor high r.p.m. power. The collector package is dependent on the number of cylinders, the engine configuration (V-8, inline 6, etc.), firing order and the basic design objectives (interference or independence). The collector outlet size is determined by primary pipe size and exhaust cam timing."