Diode Dynamics plug and play install

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jmeo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just wanted to document how the install of my Diode Dynamics (DD) front amber backlit lights into the stock housing went for all those who are considering this upgrade. I will be installing the backlit rear lights tomorrow and I will update with how that went.

I do not use my truck off road as of now, but I do live in a hilly area with mostly non-lit back roads, so I wanted a better set of lights than what was supplied from the factory. I also did not wantt to alter the looks of the truck as I really like the look of the factory assemblies, so this route was perfect for what I was looking for.

I spent a few days investigating all the option out there and watched MANY Youtube videos and read every thing I could find and decided to buy form Specialty Performance Parts. I had never purchased from them before, but their videos and documentation is very well done. I reached out to them for questions and was very quickly contacted by them and very soon after that had exactly what I wanted all figured out and purchased. Their technical support and ordering process is simply amazing. That said, I have no affiliation with them and I was not asked to make this post. I just feel the great experience was worth mentioning. Also, I was very happy with my past experience with Offroad Alliance and the recent conversation with them as well, I just liked the package and advisor experience SVP put together for me better. Anywho, here goes.

The package I went with means ZERO splicing into my factory wiring, which was a big factor as to why I went with this kit. I went with all four lights being combination flood/spot that are backlit amber. They supplied me with a plug and play harness and the adaptor harness to grab the parking light signal from the grill light. I simply swapped the factory rigid assemblies for the DD using the special brackets that were provided and using the DD hardware. Doesn't get any easier than this.

In this photo you can see the lights I went with, the plug and play pigtails that connect the lights to the factory wiring, heavy duty washers for the light install, the custom brackets, the harness to connect the (4) white wires for amber backlighting to the grill parking light adaptor (not pictured), and the up-fitter switch pigtail kit. I purchased the grill parking light adaptor from a seller on Fakebook and I had already installed it before I took this picture. One of the up-fitter pigtails will be used to trigger the rear floods that I will install tomorrow, and the others will be used for possible future upgrades and add-ons.

IMG_1389.jpeg

In this photo you can see the rear mounting brackets, taillight adaptor harness to snag the parking light signal and reverse activation, and the long harness that I will run to the up-fitter wire in behind the battery. This will allow the lights to be backlit red with the parking lights, turn on with reverse lights, and be turned on as needed with an up-fitter switch.

IMG_1401.jpeg

Getting to the good stuff, I simply swapped the stock Rigids for the DD using the supplied hardware, pigtails and brackets. It truly was a plug and play swap.

In this photo you can see how everything connects behind the lights (drivers side). I did the same for the passenger side (not shown).

IMG_1394.jpeg

Continued in next post due to (3) photo limit per post........

Last edited:
OP
OP
Jmeo

Jmeo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
In this photo you can see what the driver side looks like installed. Passenger looks the same, just mirrored (not shown).

IMG_1393.jpeg

Once I swapped out the lights, I re-installed each assembly back into the truck. I then ran the harness to connect the driver side (2) white wires for amber backlighting across to the the passenger side (2) white wires, and finally made the connection to the grill parking light adaptor harness that I previously installed. This adaptor plugs in-line at the top left grill light and I ran it down to the passenger light assembly to make the connection to the mentioned harness. The last step was to coil up the extra length of harness and wire tie behind the passenger bumper (next to light assembly).

IMG_1395.jpeg

IMG_1396.jpeg

OP
OP
Jmeo

Jmeo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Here is the backlighting in action

IMG_1404.jpeg

Here is the light connected to Aux 1 turned on

IMG_1405.jpeg

The inner pair is connected to the factory fog wiring so it will turn on by the headlight switch.

Thats it, Bob’s your uncle, super simple and resulting in an OEM fit and finish which I highly recommend.

More tomorrow when I finish the rear install and get some pictures of the truck on the ground for a full visual.

Last edited:

4x4TruckLEDs.com

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
I'm a fan of Diode Dynamics but not sure how I like them sticking out like that. On my '23 XLT I opted not to put the Diode (or Baja) dual fog kits in because I didn't like how the lights stick out.

I think the SSC2 are a bit too large. It WORKS but not quite for me. The opening is a bit too small I think

OP
OP
Jmeo

Jmeo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm a fan of Diode Dynamics but not sure how I like them sticking out like that. On my '23 XLT I opted not to put the Diode (or Baja) dual fog kits in because I didn't like how the lights stick out.

I think the SSC2 are a bit too large. It WORKS but not quite for me. The opening is a bit too small I think

I can respect that, however in person it looks pretty great. The truck is rugged and these lights look like they belong on it more than the pretty little lights that came stock from Ford.

The fact that they tie in with the amber "Raptor" marker lights made the decision for me. I am not sure if you have seen them installed in person, but I hadn't before now and was little worried about your point, but they look phenomenal in there, IMHO.

OP
OP
Jmeo

Jmeo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My day got away from me yesterday, so I won't have everything installed until this time next week. That and I changed to different lenses (same lights), so I have to wait for them to get here. I will be sure to post up pictures once i am done for anyone who may be interested how it comes out.

4STUNT

Reaction score
Nice upgrade! Love the fact that it’s Plug n Play, and I think it looks extremely close to the OEM set-up, you really have to look close to see the difference. The fact they stick out a tiny bit may actually help cool the lights since air is getting to the fins. Thanks for posting!

OP
OP
Jmeo

Jmeo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Nice upgrade! Love the fact that it’s Plug n Play, and I think it looks extremely close to the OEM set-up, you really have to look close to see the difference. The fact they stick out a tiny bit may actually help cool the lights since air is getting to the fins. Thanks for posting!
I appreciate that, an I agree. They look superb in person. I ended up swapping out the lenses to the DOT fogs and DOT driving lights because I did not like the look of how the amber backlighting looked with the combination lens. It made it look a little wonky IMHO, like 1/2 was lit differently or not as bright. This was simply due to the difference in lens on the same light. Looks even better now and plenty of light for this road queen.