Dang Deer found me

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MDJAK

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I had a 442 when I was younger. While it was down for a LOT of work, I picked up a beater, ’71 Olds 98. Every bit as long as the Rap, maybe more. It was not pretty, but it ran like a top. One night I’m doing a telco run (to a trunk site to pick up tapes), cruising the Capital Beltway near the Cabin John Bridge, middle lane, inner loop about 60 mph.

Like a slow mo video, probably one of the biggest white tail does bounds from the outer loop lanes, over the concrete dividers + the green privacy pylons, lands, takes her last step before we behead her at speed. I didn’t even have time to move the wheel, maybe I got my foot to the brake but that was it.

She took out the left headlight nacelle, busted the ‘glass, bent the radiator mount and broke the radiator. I ended up scavenging the powertrain.
Deer was pulverized by a tractor trailer behind me.

I miss that car.

Geico. That’s too bad. I still remember them denying coverage to my mother, who was rear ended by a drunk, geico insured driver. They settled one day before court about a year later. Never again.
I recall you mentioning that a while ago on another topic. While I have no doubt what you say is so, I’ve been insured by Geico for over 40 years. In addition, while in court for over 35, Geico was one of the best payers, unlike Allstate which had a no pay policy. Every suit involving personal injury Allstate took to trial, never settled. I’ve had many claims with Geico over the years, comprehensive, collision, collision where an uninsured motorist rear ended me, etc. I‘ve never had an
unfavorable interaction.

Keshka

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I hit my first animal a year before my Raptor arrived. 2004 F150. Driving the long straitaway two lane home pass all the wheat fields late fall. Some fool coming the other way has not dimmed his lights. About the time he is three car lengths from me I see a dark flash in his lights and BAM. Stupid spike elk decided that was the best time to cross. Normal I can see them and avoid making a mess but was blinded by da fool. Said spike took out the hood, grill, bumper, right fender and a pair of hoof prints in the passenger door as he wrapped around the truck. Lucky he did not come through the windshield. Drove out into the field where he died and butchered him. At least we got several meals out of him. Was amaizing to see and eagle and several other birds working on the gut pile the next day. It was gone 24 hours later!

On another note, washing the Raptor last week spotted a hole in my grill just below one of the middle lights. Plastic shattered. No idea what did it. Wife and I don't recal ever hitting anything. Can't buy the upper part of the grill even though it is removeable. Have to pay for the entire front to the tune of $450 bucks.

Third tabvette. I thought all the Raptor fenders were fiberglass....That sure looks metal.

OP
OP
tabvette

tabvette

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I hit my first animal a year before my Raptor arrived. 2004 F150. Driving the long straitaway two lane home pass all the wheat fields late fall. Some fool coming the other way has not dimmed his lights. About the time he is three car lengths from me I see a dark flash in his lights and BAM. Stupid spike elk decided that was the best time to cross. Normal I can see them and avoid making a mess but was blinded by da fool. Said spike took out the hood, grill, bumper, right fender and a pair of hoof prints in the passenger door as he wrapped around the truck. Lucky he did not come through the windshield. Drove out into the field where he died and butchered him. At least we got several meals out of him. Was amaizing to see and eagle and several other birds working on the gut pile the next day. It was gone 24 hours later!

On another note, washing the Raptor last week spotted a hole in my grill just below one of the middle lights. Plastic shattered. No idea what did it. Wife and I don't recal ever hitting anything. Can't buy the upper part of the grill even though it is removeable. Have to pay for the entire front to the tune of $450 bucks.

Third tabvette. I thought all the Raptor fenders were fiberglass....That sure looks metal.
I thought the box panels were fiberglass also. We both learned something new. They are aluminum like the cab.

sixshooter_45

2019 Ruby Red Metallic SC, 3.5 L Twin Turbos.
Reaction score
Pulled out of my driveway in the evening about a month ago and as I was starting to get on the gas four yearlings ran in front of me. I stepped on the brake right away. Started going again and another three yearlings came right out in front of me again. Luckily, I stopped in time and hadn't even touched them but it was so close.

rschap1

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Sorry to see this.
I have hit quite a few.
My area is just FULL of deer.
I see at least 20 on my 16 mile drive to work each morning.
Sometimes between 50-100.
Latest was with my winter driven MKX.
:(

Syberspace

Full Access Member
Reaction score
F'ing deer.... Me, my brother and a friend were doing a 600 mile BDR trip on adventure bikes this past weekend, in central PA. On the way home Sunday morning our friend hit a deer broadside at 55 MPH. He had most of his protective gear on, except for good boots. Broken right ankle, fractured left leg, and left elbow. Rest was brusing and minor scrapes.
1686157698161.png