I found my Raptor….

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MarkM98

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I found the Gen 2 Raptor that checks all of the boxes for what I’m looking for and then some. It’s a 2019 802A, black with bead lock wheels, tinted windows, and eibach front springs. No other mods have been done to it. It has 58,000 miles on it. The truck checks out on looking clean inside and out. I test drove it the other day and let me tell you this one feels right. Out of the other Raptors I test drove over the last year or 2 (excluding Gen 3) this one is the best.
My question is this: How do I convince my wife that trading in my 21 GMC Canyon on this Raptor is a good idea?
I will say here and now that the increase on the monthly payment we can handle no problem, and insurance will probably go down a little bit. Once I get this Raptor, this will be something I will own until it’s wore out and no longer repairable or drivable.

HighwaySentinel

︻デ┳═ー - - - - - - -
Reaction score
I can't fathom how anybody here would know how to talk your wife into something. But, I guess you could start with having her go for a ride in it. It has got to be roomier than the Canyon. Honestly, if you have to talk her into it, you have not dropped nearly enough hints that you want a Raptor.

DMays

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I found the Gen 2 Raptor that checks all of the boxes for what I’m looking for and then some. It’s a 2019 802A, black with bead lock wheels, tinted windows, and eibach front springs. No other mods have been done to it. It has 58,000 miles on it. The truck checks out on looking clean inside and out. I test drove it the other day and let me tell you this one feels right. Out of the other Raptors I test drove over the last year or 2 (excluding Gen 3) this one is the best.
My question is this: How do I convince my wife that trading in my 21 GMC Canyon on this Raptor is a good idea?
I will say here and now that the increase on the monthly payment we can handle no problem, and insurance will probably go down a little bit. Once I get this Raptor, this will be something I will own until it’s wore out and no longer repairable or drivable.
Show her the value retained on a 5-year-old canyon versus a 5-year-old raptor. Pull up both sticker prices and compare. Carfax should show the original sticker. The depreciation percentage alone should help the argument. My wife loves raptors. I have had a lot of trucks, but she always wants me to keep the raptors.

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score

“Dear, I need to talk to you about something, and it’s very important to me. I want this truck. I can afford it, and it will give us some extra flexibility, but let me be clear here: This is a want. We good?"

TOWMBO and I have an understanding on the phrase ‘this is important to me’. Ex. Last year, my wife started dropping hints about catching George Strait live in Houston. Then more hints. Then she dropped the ‘this is important to me’ tag.

At that point, I put things aside talked out some logistics and we started planning. when tickets went on sale, they were sold out - 79,800+ tickets sold in 8 minutes flat. You can’t make this $hit up. She was beside herself. We we’re both using all available computers to get a shot but no joy.

Again, she used the key phrase so while she was off pouting, I hit the secondary market. Found us some seats first level up, front seats so nobody can obstruct her low elevation view. I think they were ... 8 or 9 c notes a piece. But wait, there’s more. Once I announced I had tickets she got us rooms. Not peasant rooms, but downtown place with a solid rep. I got us a stretch sedan.

I’ll bet I was ... 2200, maybe 2300 in when all was a said and done but she got to see the King of Country music live, and I didn’t peep once when she said she wanted something.

When I told her I was shopping for the Rap she was like “ok, looks nice”. So if you need to, just go to ‘this is important to me’.

But first, make a doctor’s appointment to check your testosterone levels. :p

OP
OP
MarkM98

MarkM98

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I can't fathom how anybody here would know how to talk your wife into something. But, I guess you could start with having her go for a ride in it. It has got to be roomier than the Canyon. Honestly, if you have to talk her into it, you have not dropped nearly enough hints that you want a Raptor.
Oh believe me she knows I want one.

OP
OP
MarkM98

MarkM98

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You could always try withholding sex until she caves…..
That doesn’t work lol…
“Dear, I need to talk to you about something, and it’s very important to me. I want this truck. I can afford it, and it will give us some extra flexibility, but let me be clear here: This is a want. We good?"

TOWMBO and I have an understanding on the phrase ‘this is important to me’. Ex. Last year, my wife started dropping hints about catching George Strait live in Houston. Then more hints. Then she dropped the ‘this is important to me’ tag.

At that point, I put things aside talked out some logistics and we started planning. when tickets went on sale, they were sold out - 79,800+ tickets sold in 8 minutes flat. You can’t make this $hit up. She was beside herself. We we’re both using all available computers to get a shot but no joy.

Again, she used the key phrase so while she was off pouting, I hit the secondary market. Found us some seats first level up, front seats so nobody can obstruct her low elevation view. I think they were ... 8 or 9 c notes a piece. But wait, there’s more. Once I announced I had tickets she got us rooms. Not peasant rooms, but downtown place with a solid rep. I got us a stretch sedan.

I’ll bet I was ... 2200, maybe 2300 in when all was a said and done but she got to see the King of Country music live, and I didn’t peep once when she said she wanted something.

When I told her I was shopping for the Rap she was like “ok, looks nice”. So if you need to, just go to ‘this is important to me’.

But first, make a doctor’s appointment to check your testosterone levels. :p
She is very hard headed on things….

that’s a good story on your part though. I wish things were easy like that for me and my wife…

If it works with your finances and your wife/family is always taken care of... buy the truck. That's how I roll. Wife's say so shouldn't come into play.
That’s part of my view. Things are taken care of. So I don’t see a reason why not to trade up to what I want.
It's easier to ask for forgiveness than permission.

Just buy it.
I already got the “if you buy a truck with out me we are done” speech… so I’m leaving that one alone.
I bought my Gen 2 and bought her a piece of jewelry at the same time. She didn't know what to do. Got over it.
That’s a good one as well. I know she had mentioned something about a new Apple Watch. When I asked her what she wanted for bands she said let’s wait… so yeah this suggestion may work…