Cracked valve cover driverside

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

drewabbs

Reaction score
Im just awaiting the postcard in the mail about the class action lawsuit of people waiting 3 years for these parts and the liters of oil I have poured into it just to keep it full.

How are they able to keep making new trucks without supplying everyone the exact same engine covers for the existing ones? the 3.5 Eco didnt change

Old-Raptor-guy

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Im just awaiting the postcard in the mail about the class action lawsuit of people waiting 3 years for these parts and the liters of oil I have poured into it just to keep it full.

How are they able to keep making new trucks without supplying everyone the exact same engine covers for the existing ones? the 3.5 Eco didnt change
That is not true, the valve cover in question was a design produced from 2017-2020. In 2021 something changed and the part # is different. As this part is no longer a part needed for vehicle production Ford is relying on suppliers to fill the orders. If this was a currently used item on the assembly line Ford could divert parts to fill orders. Not that they would, nothing gets in the way of production. But they could.

Also, due to modern vehicle design the valve covers are an integral part of the emissions system ( pcv system) and have to go through EPA/CARB approval if manufactured by the aftermarket. (oem have already gone through the process)

I assume that there were lets say 50 injection molding machines making this valve cover when it was used on current production vehicles back in 2017-2020, but then the design changed and they switched the machines over to the new design. leaving a couple to produce replacement parts and the machines are broken down or they can not find the man power to staff the machines.

I have been fighting a similar issue in my shop with a 2017 F150 2.7 ecoboost. The oil pan is non-existent has been here for 10 months. the oil pan designed changed in 2018. Ford just released a TSB that they are waiting for EPA approval to retrofit 2015-2017 2.7 ecoboost engines with the 2018-current design. If approved (don't know why it wouldn't be) the replacement of the oil pan WILL REQUIRE the replacement of both valve covers also because on the 2.7 the oil pan is considered part of the PCV system and has to work in conjunction with the correct valve covers.

Vehicles ain't getting simpler they are getting more complex, and stuff like this is why I don't see the aftermarket making much more than brakes and tie rods in the future.

Last edited:

drewabbs

Reaction score
That is not true, the valve cover in question was a design produced from 2017-2020. In 2021 something changed and the part # is different. Vehicles ain't getting simpler they are getting more complex, and stuff like this is why I don't see the aftermarket making much more than brakes and tie rods in the future.
No need to overcomplicate this. HL3Z-6582-G and its various previous versions are all in "Backorder with no date in sight" 2017 - 2020 are all suffering on the 3.5L the same issues. New Fords with the same 3.5L are using a part that should be available to us, since it fits the same engine. Instead they are putting functional valve covers on newly built fords, while people who have 2017-2020 leak all over the garage floor.

Also, due to modern vehicle design the valve covers ....
These are plastic, Modern Plastic. Torque specs or proper spacers would prevent this from happening, we don't need a tricorder to figure it out. Hell even a metal one would not have this happen.
The rest is assumption on your part. They have had this problem for going on 4 years now, no fix in sight. Backordered indefinitely, with Ford mechanics telling me its caused by cold winters and to just keep pouring oil in it until they get the parts.

This is overdue for a lawsuit since Ford has no focus on fixing these.

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
No need to overcomplicate this. HL3Z-6582-G and its various previous versions are all in "Backorder with no date in sight" 2017 - 2020 are all suffering on the 3.5L the same issues. New Fords with the same 3.5L are using a part that should be available to us, since it fits the same engine. Instead they are putting functional valve covers on newly built fords, while people who have 2017-2020 leak all over the garage floor.
Wrong. 2021+ 3.5 uses different valve covers. They are not backward compatible with 2017 to 2020 3.5. @Old-Raptor-guy explained the rest.

And no, they are not “all suffering the same issue” :rolleyes: Most failures are attributable to incorrect removal of the valve cover from a prior repair.
These are plastic, Modern Plastic. Torque specs or proper spacers would prevent this from happening, we don't need a tricorder to figure it out. Hell even a metal one would not have this happen.
The rest is assumption on your part.
The only assumptions in here are on your part. They have torque specs, “proper spacers” (?) is completely irrelevant. You’re trying to over simplify everything. The material is irrelevant as well, any material can crack or fail if it’s a bad casting or it’s improperly serviced.

They have had this problem for going on 4 years now, no fix in sight. Backordered indefinitely, with Ford mechanics telling me its caused by cold winters and to just keep pouring oil in it until they get the parts.
Umm the fix it to replace the valve covers with the superseded part number. They’re on backorder; once again see old-Raptor-guy’s post above.
This is overdue for a lawsuit since Ford has no focus on fixing these.
A lawsuit changes nothing; it’s not going to get parts produced and it’s not going to get you any money. You’ll just enrich scumbag lawyers by millions at the expense of the company, which comes full circle to the consumer.

drewabbs

Reaction score
My assumption is that the tech who did a service bulletin on my Raptor broke it. And Ford hasnt had a fix for 3 + years and that its in indefinite backorder.
"all of us"50K+ people backordered (go on and roll your eyes here).....are waiting with no replacement date while new covers are built for new vehicles.

Keep defending Ford, you are right this is perfect customer service....or maybe they need the 4+ years for your assumptions:
"Also, due to modern vehicle design the valve covers are an integral part of the emissions system ( pcv system) and have to go through EPA/CARB approval if manufactured by the aftermarket."
"I assume that there were lets say 50 injection molding machines making this valve cover when it was used on current production vehicles back in 2017-2020, but then the design changed and they switched the machines over to the new design. leaving a couple to produce replacement parts and the machines are broken down or they can not find the man power to staff the machines."

Silly yall are trying to blast me when I have seen class actions for less.
I hate class actions too but Ford not doing jack shit for 3 years just asking for them.

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
My assumption is that the tech who did a service bulletin on my Raptor broke it. And Ford hasnt had a fix for 3 + years and that its in indefinite backorder.
"all of us"50K+ people backordered (go on and roll your eyes here).....are waiting with no replacement date while new covers are built for new vehicles.
They’re not the same valve covers. This has been explained twice. Along with the reason that new ones are being made while the previous part number is in the process of being replenished.

If the service technician broke it, why are you not taking it up with the dealer? The failures manifest as a hairline crack that causes residue on the valve cover. If yours is broken to the point of needing to add oil (as you mentioned previously) it was clearly severely damaged during removal or installation. That’s not a defect, that’s a workmanship issue; I would ask the dealer how they’re going to make good on it for the time being.
Keep defending Ford, you are right this is perfect customer service....or maybe they need the 4+ years for your assumptions:
"Also, due to modern vehicle design the valve covers are an integral part of the emissions system ( pcv system) and have to go through EPA/CARB approval if manufactured by the aftermarket."
"I assume that there were lets say 50 injection molding machines making this valve cover when it was used on current production vehicles back in 2017-2020, but then the design changed and they switched the machines over to the new design. leaving a couple to produce replacement parts and the machines are broken down or they can not find the man power to staff the machines."
Nobody is “defending” anyone. He provided a likely/common manufacturing scenario that has been widespread across the industry, especially since COVID. That’s the reality of it, it’s not like they’re intentionally holding back stock of valve covers.
Silly yall are trying to blast me when I have seen class actions for less.
I hate class actions too but Ford not doing jack shit for 3 years just asking for them.
Apparently you don’t, it’s the third time you’ve brought it up. An ambulance chasing law firm is not going to magically get a supplier to produce more parts. If anything they’ll slow the entire process down with their ridiculous “discoveries”, depositions, subpoenas, etc.

drewabbs

Reaction score
You guys converted me. Your right, this is great customer service.
Im sure the supply chain getting new valve covers for new vehicles are completely different.
Thank you for suggesting I should take it up with my dealership who told me the crack is due to "cold winters" and to keep pouring oil in it until they can get the part. I am sure they will do the right thing.

Im sure it will take 2 more years because my platic cover to be OK'd through EPA/CARB approval, the 4th version of this part. And that Covid is the cause of this delay when the thread is as old as Covid.

its a 3+ year old issue, with no solution in sight, no part eta. No problem at all.

Where do i get the Kool-Aid?

ColoradoBoss

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mines never had engine work done when I noticed the left valve cover was cracked. Took it to Ford and they said they would cover it under warranty. They called 3 days later and said all work including cam phasers was completed, I never mentioned cam phasers. Got home and noticed the cover was cracked. I've been waiting for a new once since 6/27/22.