Cracked valve cover driverside

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Wender85

Reaction score
Today i was double checking my spark plug gap of .028 and i noticed there was a little oil stuck in a little valley around a nut holding the valve cover down. I do have a upr oil catch can on both side of the motor and initially thought the driver side was leaking. I removed the driverside upr and it was bone dry all around it but that valley was wet. I cleaned it out with some electrical maf cleaner and headed to top off on fuel. When i came back I noticed the oil was back. I looked around and used a bright led flashlight. I noticed a hair line crack on the valve cover with air and oil seeping out.

B0151634-E8F3-40EB-8D00-4577E35CCF88.jpeg

77C5E82F-0FB8-465E-8853-A9C71AFBE81F.jpeg

F01B62BA-433F-4250-91BB-560ADF42115E.jpeg

TwizzleStix

Pudendum Inspector aka FORZDA 1
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah that’s unfortunate but you obviously have some ability to diagnose the problem yourself. That’s already a mile in the right direction! As in the post above, if it’s under warranty, then the valve cover should be replaced.

It should be replaced eventually, but the JB Weld application will keep it from leaking for quite a while. The problem is that the valve cover is compromised and will allow some oil out, but a real problem is that it could let “unclean” air into the engine. The air and moisture leak can defeat the PCV valve operation and eventually result in serious contamination.

Antho

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I’ve had mine replaced. Exact same place. Was under warranty. I know of one other person with same issue.

Booth9999

Professional basket weaver level 7
Reaction score
Maybe a bad batch considering they all have been driver side that I have seen including my two. I only noticed when I park on a hill and the oil would run down to the exhaust and I could smell it. If not it just runs down the back of the engine and collects on the skid plate making it mostly unnoticeable. I actually had both replaced after that for excessive oil consumption/PVC update design and no issues since. Mine is a 17 for reference.

OP
OP
Wender85

Wender85

Reaction score
Removed my upr oil catch can on both sides. Plugged the hole in the intake. Just dropped my truck off at the dealer for the 100 th time. My truck has lived at the dealership. Hopefully this time the mechanic doesn’t break something else trying to fix the problem

OP
OP
Wender85

Wender85

Reaction score
Removed my upr oil catch can on both sides. Plugged the hole in the intake. Just dropped my truck off at the dealer for the 100 th time. My truck has lived at the dealership. Hopefully this time the mechanic doesn’t break something else trying to fix the problem