GEN 2 Correct replacement phasers

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Yeah there’s some on here that still believe it was the software causing premature failure and because of pride are too arrogant to believe the mechanical update is the fix. Software was a bandaid just my 2 cents carry on.
Your “2 cents” mean nothing when you’re wrong. Your post wreaks of arrogance, you’re making claims with no supporting facts because you’re too ignorant to even grasp that you have no idea what you’re talking about.

You derailed the other thread with your nonsense and it looks like you’re trying to do the same here. All of your post history is you arguing over this topic and making baseless claims.

Last edited:

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Mine is a 4/19 build and has the issue after the software update. It looks like at 42k miles the damage was already done prior to update. I purchased at 32 and other than some towing the truck was babied.
Exactly, a software update can’t fix what’s already worn out. Hence the extended coverage (21N03) for those that fell into that population and were out of warranty.

thatJeepguy

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Exactly, a software update can’t fix what’s already worn out. Hence the extended coverage (21N03) for those that fell into that population and were out of warranty.
Why wouldnt he write it up as a replacement from the get go? Do they physically need to hear it for themselves?

MagneticScrew

Reaction score
Well, I didn't see this thread until five minutes ago, but I just had this done. I am sharing for informational and anecdotal purposes. I went in for diagnosis on 10/11/22 and was approved for replacement. A few gaskets were on back order, so it didn't go back in until 11/02/22. The truck was done the morning of 11/04/22. A few notes about my timeline just for fun...
-2019 with a February 2019 build date.
-21B10 re calibration performed in October of 2021 with no rattle at that time.
-Noticeable rattle developed seemingly overnight in July of 2022; I waited a few months for it develop into a consistent and undeniable occurrence before making an appointment.
-No issues with approval or getting the job done; this was one of my easiest warranty experiences ever.

My dealer also advised that the spark plugs do not come out for this, as I tried to get a spark plug swap snuck in for no labor charge. I had approximately 51k on the original plugs and it was time for a replacement and upgrade. The intake phaser and exhaust phaser part numbers on my invoice match those referenced in FordTechMakuloco's video linked in the beginning of this thread (ML3Z-6256-A, ML3Z-6C525-A).

thatJeepguy

FRF Addict
Reaction score
He is correct. It is not necessary to remove the spark plugs.
Well, I didn't see this thread until five minutes ago, but I just had this done. I am sharing for informational and anecdotal purposes. I went in for diagnosis on 10/11/22 and was approved for replacement. A few gaskets were on back order, so it didn't go back in until 11/02/22. The truck was done the morning of 11/04/22. A few notes about my timeline just for fun...
-2019 with a February 2019 build date.
-21B10 re calibration performed in October of 2021 with no rattle at that time.
-Noticeable rattle developed seemingly overnight in July of 2022; I waited a few months for it develop into a consistent and undeniable occurrence before making an appointment.
-No issues with approval or getting the job done; this was one of my easiest warranty experiences ever.

My dealer also advised that the spark plugs do not come out for this, as I tried to get a spark plug swap snuck in for no labor charge. I had approximately 51k on the original plugs and it was time for a replacement and upgrade. The intake phaser and exhaust phaser part numbers on my invoice match those referenced in FordTechMakuloco's video linked in the beginning of this thread (ML3Z-6256-A, ML3Z-6C525-A).
Well my SA just called. He said all parts were in stock and he is going to do , the phaser job, rear brakes and swap the plugs for me. He said he has to replace the plug “boots” because sometimes the get fouled up when removed . I hope thats not ********. So he got extra $$$ out of me for that. All and all he said he probably will have everything done by tomorrow afternoon.

duff49

Reaction score
Your “2 cents” mean nothing when you’re wrong. Your post wreaks of arrogance, you’re making claims with no supporting facts because you’re too ignorant to even grasp that you have no idea what you’re talking about.

You derailed the other thread with your nonsense and it looks like you’re trying to do the same here. All of your post history is you arguing over this topic and making baseless claims.
Baseless…yet there are so many examples of the pre 11/19 phasers still going bad after the “band aid” programming update. Mechanical wear doesn’t happen overnight, and sure programming can cause premature wear but all vvt phasers fail in the same way, this was just bad parts, the programming was just a hope to by time for ford to get past that oh so gracious prorated extended warranty. I’ll sit back and enjoy the posts of how many fail after having the update, and still need the new part.

Last edited:

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Baseless…yet there are so many examples of the pre 11/19 phasers still going bad after the “band aid” programming update. Mechanical wear doesn’t happen overnight, and sure programming can cause premature wear but all vvt phasers fail in the same way, this was just bad parts, the programming was just a hope to by time for ford to get past that oh so gracious prorated extended warranty. I’ll sit back and enjoy the posts of how many fail after having the update, and still need the new part.
“So many examples”?? Lol you have zero data, you’re trolling.

You are more interested in fear mongering than providing credible information. Remember when you were claiming they reverted the software after the updated phasers were installed? Not only were you wrong, but you showed that you have absolutely no understanding of the issue.