GEN 2 Correct replacement phasers

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

duff49

Reaction score
They take the valve covers off so it’s literally a 2 min job at that point to replace the plugs, really should be able to negotiate the cost of the plugs.
“So many examples”?? Lol you have zero data, you’re trolling.

You are more interested in fear mongering than providing credible information. Remember when you were claiming they reverted the software after the updated phasers were installed? Not only were you wrong, but you showed that you have absolutely no understanding of the issue.
your literally on a data point thread. You’re the one with 0 actual evidence of software being the issue and not the part. Show us what they changed in the programming to change the mechanical wear…..you keep saying I have no knowledge yet your the one with 0 proof of your blabbering. All vvt phasers have the ability to fail in the way these pre 11/19 phasers have, yet these failed so rapidly because of the programming, lol ok. The part is the issue, hence the updated part, and eventually the old ones will need to be changed just as our guys in this post will be. A good phaser will last longer than 40k miles no matter the programming, it should be able to handle the cycles, these can’t and ford hoped to band aid them to cut down on the replacements under warranty. Ease the minds with an extended warranty that the phaser should have lasted to begin with. Any proof otherwise is welcome but again you have none…

Last edited:

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
your literally on a data point thread. You’re the one with 0 actual evidence of software being the issue and not the part. Show us what they changed in the programming to change the mechanical wear…..you keep saying I have no knowledge yet your the one with 0 proof of your blabbering.
All of my information is straight from the manufacturer and my own validation. Your claims and comments are baseless speculation.

My “actual evidence” that root cause is the software and not the part is the fact that hundreds of thousands of vehicles were recalled to have the calibration updated with the same strategy proactively applied to models built 11/19 and later. But your theory is that they wasted tens of millions of dollars on a recall that does nothing? Lol ok.

If you actually had any field experience with the changes instead of being a keyboard warrior you’d know what was changed as why. Monitoring VCT_ACT and VCTDC PIDs in IDS reveals exactly what was changed.

You’ve also never explained why, if the issue was the component, does the calibration still need to be updated when the latest service part is installed? And why do vehicles built 11/19 and later use the same strategy when you claim it’s irrelevant to the issue?
All vvt phasers have the ability to fail in the way these pre 11/19 phasers have, yet these failed so rapidly because of the programming, lol ok. The part is the issue, hence the updated part, and eventually the old ones will need to be changed just as our guys in this post will be. A good phaser will last longer than 40k miles no matter the programming, it should be able to handle the cycles, these can’t and ford hoped to band aid them to cut down on the replacements under warranty. Ease the minds with an extended warranty that the phaser should have lasted to begin with. Any proof otherwise is welcome but again you have none…
So now you’re not only a keyboard technician, but you’re a keyboard engineer. Amazing! Where is this SAE standard you speak of that states the requirements of a a VCT phaser to last 40k miles when operated outside of its intended design? You’re making it up as you go, as you’ve done with every post you’ve made here.

Last edited:

duff49

Reaction score
All of my information is straight from the manufacturer and my own validation. Your claims and comments are baseless speculation.

My “actual evidence” that root cause is the software and not the part is the fact that hundreds of thousands of vehicles were recalled to have the calibration updated with the same strategy proactively applied to models built 11/19 and later. But your theory is that they wasted tens of millions of dollars on a recall that does nothing? Lol ok.

If you actually had any field experience with the changes instead of being a keyboard warrior you’d know what was changed as why. Monitoring VCT_ACT and VCTDC PIDs in IDS reveals exactly what was changed.

You’ve also never explained why, if the issue was the component, does the calibration still need to be updated when the latest service part is installed? And why do vehicles built 11/19 and later use the same strategy when you claim it’s irrelevant to the issue?

So now you’re not only a keyboard technician, but you’re a keyboard engineer. Amazing! Where is this SAE standard you speak of that states the requirements of a a VCT phaser to last 40k miles when operated outside of its intended design? You’re making it up as you go, as you’ve done with every post you’ve made here.
1. theory is that they wasted tens of millions of dollars on a recall that does nothing?......the money spent on reprogramming is cheaper than the alternative of going ahead and replacing the part. again to save them money.
2. Monitoring VCT_ACT and VCTDC PIDs in IDS........literally will vary per vehicle no matter what stategy/programming is installed.
3. still need to be updated when the latest service part is installed..........of course it would be a good idea to change the duty cycles when they have had this many issues with the component "band aid"
4. SAE standard you speak of that states the requirements of a a VCT phaser to last 40k miles when operated outside of its intended design.....not one but even ford thought they would last at least 60,000. I also didnt realize the calibration allowed it to work outside of its 30 degrees of rotation.

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
1. theory is that they wasted tens of millions of dollars on a recall that does nothing?......the money spent on reprogramming is cheaper than the alternative of going ahead and replacing the part. again to save them money.
If it “does nothing” as you claim yet costs tens of millions, that saves nothing. Do you even read what you post?
2. Monitoring VCT_ACT and VCTDC PIDs in IDS........literally will vary per vehicle no matter what stategy/programming is installed.
Lol no, it doesn’t. The calibration change is clear to anyone who could even operate IDS and datalog basic PIDs.
3. still need to be updated when the latest service part is installed..........of course it would be a good idea to change the duty cycles when they have had this many issues with the component "band aid"
You claimed that the calibration was reverted with the new part because it was no longer needed and was a “band-aid”. Now all of a sudden it’s a “good idea”? You’re making a fool of yourself.
4. SAE standard you speak of that states the requirements of a a VCT phaser to last 40k miles when operated outside of its intended design.....not one but even ford thought they would last at least 60,000. I also didnt realize the calibration allowed it to work outside of its 30 degrees of rotation.
You make it more obvious with each post that you don’t understand what a duty cycle is. I had originally explained the issue but removed it from my post so you could continue to embarrass yourself.

duff49

Reaction score
If it “does nothing” as you claim yet costs tens of millions, that saves nothing. Do you even read what you post?

Lol no, it doesn’t. The calibration change is clear to anyone who could even operate IDS and datalog basic PIDs.

You claimed that the calibration was reverted with the new part because it was no longer needed and was a “band-aid”. Now all of a sudden it’s a “good idea”? You’re making a fool of yourself.

You make it more obvious with each post that you don’t understand what a duty cycle is. I had originally explained the issue but removed it from my post so you could continue to embarrass yourself.
your reading comprehension is so terrible its no use with you....never did I say it does nothing, said it band aids it, which it does. The part will continue to fail those who had the programming done and you can keep coming on here explaining to the ones failing pre 11/19 as to why they are installing the new component and how the calibration was really the issue. especially those unlucky enough to fail right after 100k. ill keep checking back to see how many more threads you have to defend it on.

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
your reading comprehension is so terrible its no use with you....never did I say it does nothing, said it band aids it, which it does. The part will continue to fail those who had the programming done and you can keep coming on here explaining to the ones failing pre 11/19 as to why they are installing the new component and how the calibration was really the issue. especially those unlucky enough to fail right after 100k. ill keep checking back to see how many more threads you have to defend it on.
My reading comprehension is just fine; I addressed all the nonsense you posted. Apparently yours is not, because you’re back to your original claims that have already been proven to be unfounded and wrong multiple times over. Way to avoid everything I called you out on. You have continued to fail, especially your claims of the “reverted calibration”, which shows you don’t have the slightest clue what is even going on.

duff49

Reaction score
My reading comprehension is just fine; I addressed all the nonsense you posted. Apparently yours is not, because you’re back to your original claims that have already been proven to be unfounded and wrong multiple times over. Way to avoid everything I called you out on. You have continued to fail, especially your claims of the “reverted calibration”, which shows you don’t have the slightest clue what is even going on.
only thing continuing to fail is those pre 11/2019 phasers....

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
only thing continuing to fail is those pre 11/2019 phasers....
You’re the only thing here that continues to fail. You avoided everything I responded with because you have no idea what you’re talking about. Find something better to do with your time than trolling and speculating about things you don’t have the education nor experience to understand.

letsgetthisdone

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah there’s some on here that still believe it was the software causing premature failure and because of pride are too arrogant to believe the mechanical update is the fix. Software was a bandaid just my 2 cents carry on.

I just had the new phasers put in my truck last week, and the cal was updated as well. Looking at the cal files in HPTuner suite, I can see where cam phasing changes were made below 600rpm. The old cal was trying to move the phaser to 5* advance as low as 400rpm, when there was likely enough oil pressure to get the phaser off the lock, but not enough pressure to control it, so it rattled. It's now all zeroed out below 600 rpm, which leaves the phaser on the lock when there is insufficient oil pressure, preventing wear. There are other changes that help in similar ways, but they're harder to explain. But basically Ford's new cal delays any cam phasing events until the engine has more rpm and/or oil pressure, which will help the phaser live longer. My truck also cranks a smidge longer than it used to before firing off. I didn't pay attention before, but I would guess the starter chirps 2-3 more times before the engine lights up.

I really hope this is the fix because, like anyone else, I hate taking my truck in. But it seems Ford really finally put some thought and effort into this with an all new part, and a new cal with significant changes to how the phasers are operated during startup. So I feel confident in this one.

Also, having properly operating phasers is nice. It starts and runs better. My truck was to the point of the phasers knocking intermittently at idle, and my MPG's were creeping downward. First tank of fuel after the job I'm seeing around 12.5mpg instead of 11 with my typical driving. My old ones were definitely due for replacement.

letsgetthisdone

Full Access Member
Reaction score

You're simply wrong. Cam phasers have a target, if they miss that target by more than 1-2*, you'll get codes. You can 100% tell a change in strategy by looking at data.