COBB tuning Raptor tune

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

icecoldak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No I haven’t yet. I called and talked to Cobb and they want me to data log it and send them the info. I was out of the country for a few weeks and haven’t found the time to reinstall it and make a few pulls. If you have the ability call them and mke a data log to send to them. They are very willing to help. The more data the better, any info I get I’ll pass along to you. Maybe that would be a good Sunday project...

P.S. Cobb said it was not the plugs and is an anomaly. What are your specs? I have a 802a super crew 17 with about 23,000 miles.

So, is this a problem with their tune? Are they gonna try and fix this issue?

Booth9999

Professional basket weaver level 7
Reaction score
So, is this a problem with their tune? Are they gonna try and fix this issue?
No no a problem with the tune they don’t think but yes they are trying to help super quick and helpful I just haven’t had time to deal with it unfortunately.

Nick@Apollo-Optics

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
I'm considering pulling the trigger on the COBB tune but was thinking of just going with the Accessport to start with. Do you have any experience with that and will I still notice big differences without getting the full stage 1 or 2 package?

Yes, the tune only will make an impact. The CAI is not required for the Stage 1 tune or Stage 2 tune, but is recommended. The only "hard parts" required is if you want to run the Stage 2 map, you will be required to run the COBB intercooler.

One thing to note is that there are discounts that come along the way with the Stage 1+ and Stage 2 kits. You will save a bit on both products when you combine them. If you're planning to go Stage 2, I would strongly recommend the COBB CAI for the increased flow rate and filter size.

New Question: If I install the Stage 2, will it operate with the OEM tune if I have to take to a dealer for service?

Thanks, JohnnyB

If you have a 2017 truck, you may have a CEL with the COBB intake installed and no tune. If your truck is a 2018, you'll be fine. Also, the stock intercooler will be fine with the OEM tune.

zombiekiller

OG BooBooRunner
Reaction score
the cobb intake would be great and all, if there was a non-oiled option.

there is no way in hell I'd risk taking an oiled filter on a multi-day run.

Cobb - pretty please... a non-oiled option.

Seartrip

Reaction score
^^ This.

I had asked Cobb about the option, but they misunderstood my question when I posted it.

zombiekiller

OG BooBooRunner
Reaction score
What are your concerns with an oiled filter?

Kyle@COBB

it turning into a solid brick of dust and oil 100 miles from nowhere half way down the baja pennisula.

Most tour guides /groups won't be very happy if you show with an oiled filter due to all the issues that they've encountered in the past.

COBB Tuning

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
I think you may be overestimating the amount of oil on the filter. It's not submerged in oil and sent out. You're not able to feel any oil on it. If you are going to be out in the sand, we do have a filter sock that works great in that environment.

Kyle@COBB

zombiekiller

OG BooBooRunner
Reaction score
I think you may be overestimating the amount of oil on the filter. It's not submerged in oil and sent out. You're not able to feel any oil on it. If you are going to be out in the sand, we do have a filter sock that works great in that environment.

Kyle@COBB

Kyle, I appreciate the option, but ANY OIL on a filter in the desert makes everything stick to it until the point of caking.

try this:

1. Hold an office raffle for a special prize.

2. Go stand in the Cobb parking lot and spray your skin with tanning oil, then blot the tanning oil.

3. Hand a blow dryer to the coworker that won the raffle.

4. have coworker turn on the hairdryer, point it at you, then have the lucky winner dump sand into the hair dryer.

5. tell me if the sand still sticks to your sort-of oily body.

Now imagine dumping 55 gallon drum after 55 gallon drum of sand over your head.

Anything that sticks is 100% more than if you hadnt oiled yourself up.

Most tour operators WILL NOT LET YOU CROSS INTO MEXICO WITH THEM until you swap your oiled filter for a dry or paper filter.

so yeah, I'll save the oil for my salad.

request still stands though. please offer the intake with a dry and reusable filter. I dont care if it adds horsepower, it makes the engine compartment look better. (and I have your other parts)

hell, send me a dry filter version along with a pair of 8 foot long, 3 foot tall cobb stickers and I'll get plenty of video of my truck in mexico torture testing the thing. :)

Last edited:

COBB Tuning

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
FWIW one of our Engineers has a Raptor and plays in the dunes often. He has the filter installed. There is plenty of sand that makes it into the airbox and there isn't anything caked to the filter (and that's without the sock installed). If you're in a more extreme environment, the sock will prevent any contact from anything to the filter. At this point, we don't have anything in the works to offer a dry filter, but there is likely something out there that will work if that's what you prefer.

Kyle@COBB

Last edited: