CNG addition/conversion?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

scosol

Reaction score
Has anyone looked in to this?
I ask because I'm more of an exploratory off-roader versus desert-jumping or rock-crawling, and a 2012 Raptor with the Torsen front diff will work fine for my needs. I'm deciding between an F250 and the Raptor for the same $$$. (Both with the 6.2). The Raptor is obviously the much better-looking truck and my hauling/towing needs are moderate so it would work perfectly.

In the F250 I'd like the diesel but it's a $7k premium, and the 6.2 has a CNG-prep option that just includes some hardened valves etc. I've got some experience with CNG and with diesel being the same price as premium unleaded; with CNG being ~half, I'm leaning towards the 6.2 with a ~$5k CNG system added to it.

The Raptor has the same motor with some different ECU tunings so I'm fairly sure I can get that worked out, but wanted to ask if anyone had looked in to this at all.
Or maybe I'll be the first to do it :)

Last edited:

KaiserM715

Kaiser Söze
Reaction score
The Raptor has the same motor with some different ECU tunings so I'm fairly sure I can get that worked out, but wanted to ask if anyone had looked in to this at all.
Or maybe I'll be the first to do it :)
The cams are also different. I have not heard of any CNG conversions to date, so you might be first!

OP
OP
S

scosol

Reaction score
The cams are also different. I have not heard of any CNG conversions to date, so you might be first!

Hmm I did not know the cams were different, but that as well shouldn't matter. Any gas engine not at the absolute limits of stress can run on CNG without a problem.

I'm surprised that nobody has done it, seeing as how one of the only major downsides to the Raptor is the fuel economy.

Madcowranch

Genetically Modified
Reaction score
Have a buddy who had his '09 F250 CNG converted. NE OK has the infrastructure to support CNG and you're right, it's CHEAP! However he has very limited range even with that huge CNG tank taking up 20% of his bed. He does, however, have the option to switch back to gas on the fly which is nice. His conversion was something like $10K so the payoff is way out.

As far as deisel prices, around here it is running about .50 higher than premium.
Pretty much offsets any gain that deisel guys are enjoying in mpg's.:waytogo:

imdubious

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I would like to see pic. also is this kit "mod friendly' will it learn to adapt for header CAI etc. like some of the others. Also what was the cost. What is you milage in GAS & CNG? Thanks for the replay and i will probaly bug you a bit for info.

bienchx

Reaction score
Will send pics tonight. The kit is not mod friendly, engine has to be normally aspirated. Range is about 100 miles. Avg. 7.2 MPG. Bearing in mind that I have (2) 100 ltr tanks and 20" wheels with 35x 12.50 x 20" Toyo Tires. CNG here is 0.64 cents of a dollar, get it filled up with 23 dollars.

---------- Post added at 12:49 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:38 PM ----------

Cost of the conversion was US$3100.00.

Boss Hoss

FRF Addict
Reaction score
The ROI is not going to happen unless if you get free CNG or you are going to drive 200k miles. The the resale of a Raptor is going to be hit hard with this conversion.

imdubious

FRF Addict
Reaction score
The ROI is not going to happen unless if you get free CNG or you are going to drive 200k miles. The the resale of a Raptor is going to be hit hard with this conversion.

State refunds 50% plus my fuel bill will be about half. If I setup a home compressor it would be much less then that. ROI would be 22 months or less for me. Not really worried about resale.