Clunking sound on Gen 3 too

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SurfRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
My 22 just went in on Tuesday. Service manager confirmed they did not use chassis ears to diagnose and just guessed based upon most common repair in the system that it was the rear but which side wasn’t even listed.

Vehicle was also in for the seat wrinkle but they ordered the wrong cover. 2 days and so far no repairs made.

No loaner vehicles either as they “are all out right now” so he got me a car at the enterprise next door which after taxes comes to $45 a day and my rental coverage on the extended warranty covers $40. So I’m out of pocket $5 a day for a 10 year old Nissian pickup that actually had a homeless guy and his stuff sleeping in the back bed. Police had to come and remove him which held me up an extra 30 minutes of getting the rental.

After all of this I’m making a push to have both rears replaced and if I still hear any noise I plan on escalating this until the fronts are done too.

There is just simply no way ford is going to be able to test these shocks to hear a minor clunk noise and then bill the dealership for a repair that wasn’t necessary. If your lucky enough for your truck to fall within those dates I’d push for a pair of new shocks (front or rear depending).

I’ll report back on how one replaced sounds and drives. Then I can let everyone know how both sounds and drives. Hopefully that’s it. But if it needs fronts, I plan on making them do it.

SurfRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Well, they have had my truck now for a week as I drive the crappy rental pickup around. The dealer is still saying the clunk should be gone with the one rear passenger shock replacement but as of right now, he says that using chassis ears wasn't necessary and isn't a requirement to diagnose this issue.

Does anyone have access to something that says using chassis ears is the method to diagnose the clunk?

Enrique Villalobos

Reaction score
Got rid of my 3rd gen raptor and got a braptor. Braptor has no bush league shock issues. Rides like a Gen 3 should have probably rode. Even after replacing the two front shocks. Couldn’t take the clunking anymore!!

SurfRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Update: The dealer finally used the electronic chassis ears and agrees that the driver's side is also making noise and they will replace both rear shocks. My passenger side was the main noisemaker, and the driver's side is on back order and should be in by the end of the month. It took 3 trips to the dealership. First time no noise heard. Second, no noise heard until I mentioned the SSM so then it became replace passenger side and third time noise on both sides and both rear shocks will be replaced.

The above posts were absolutely correct. With just the one shock replaced, it feels like a completely different truck and finally it's quiet going over bumps. If you have this noise, you have to either escalate the issue or take it to a different dealer. Its a huge difference and worth the battle you have ahead of you. If your truck doesn't fall within the dates of the SSM I would still escalate this to Ford Corporate. There is clearly an issue with the shocks that were manufactured during this time period.

TXRaptor37

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Got rid of my 3rd gen raptor and got a braptor. Braptor has no bush league shock issues. Rides like a Gen 3 should have probably rode. Even after replacing the two front shocks. Couldn’t take the clunking anymore!!
Wow! Sorry to hear they couldn’t resolve but def enjoy the Braptor, it is a bad ass machine and drives soooo well!