Clunking sound on Gen 3 too

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MikeJones603

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know if rebuilding the shocks would get rid of the clunk? Have already gone to 4 dealers and got my rears replaced but no one will do the fronts and it’s still clunking coming from the front.
I don’t know about rebuilding the shocks, but I had to fight to get my fronts replaced. I was told ‘Ford doesn’t pay us enough to replace the front shocks via the TSB by a SA. Then they insisted there was no noise, made several attempts at brain washing me. The only reason they finally replaced them was bc I had <1,000 miles on the truck since purchased, it was still eligible for full return. Once Ford finally replaced the fronts I got a call from the service manager, was told the noise was still present (seemed like more of an I told you so call). Thankfully this was not true. It was a night/day difference when I got it back. I knew it before I got out of the parking lot of the dealership. If you can hear/feel the noise from the front end, keep fighting. I was real close to just buying new fronts on my own dime, but it’s not right. The service manger can make this happen if they want too.

Another thing I was going to try was reaching out to Fox directly, seeing what serial number ranges were impacted and using that as leverage. Might be worth a shot.

IMG_9889.jpegIMG_9888.jpeg

SurfRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I don’t know about rebuilding the shocks, but I had to fight to get my fronts replaced. I was told ‘Ford doesn’t pay us enough to replace the front shocks via the TSB by a SA. Then they insisted there was no noise, made several attempts at brain washing me. The only reason they finally replaced them was bc I had <1,000 miles on the truck since purchased, it was still eligible for full return. Once Ford finally replaced the fronts I got a call from the service manager, was told the noise was still present (seemed like more of an I told you so call). Thankfully this was not true. It was a night/day difference when I got it back. I knew it before I got out of the parking lot of the dealership. If you can hear/feel the noise from the front end, keep fighting. I was real close to just buying new fronts on my own dime, but it’s not right. The service manger can make this happen if they want too.

Another thing I was going to try was reaching out to Fox directly, seeing what serial number ranges were impacted and using that as leverage. Might be worth a shot.

View attachment 407051View attachment 407052
My second rear shock gets replaced on the 18th but I am requesting that the chassis ears be hooked up to the front end now to listen for clunk. I would love that list of serial numbers since I know my truck has them. Keep fighting the good fight on this.

Reaction score
The dealership has told me that the play in the driveshaft is normal. I showed him a video of me grabbing the shaft and shaking it to make the same type of noise I hear going over small bumps. He said the service tech told him "If it didn't have that play in it then things would break." I countered with, while some play is surely normal, not to the extent that it makes noise over bumps. He didn't seem to agree.

I also had some transmission weirdness that included funky shifting and an abrupt thud/clunk when slowing down,. So while I was playing with FORscan to get rid of all the chimes, the double honk and change some lighting I cleared the transmission adaptive learning tables. It made a difference and it shifts better and more consistantly now.

However, playing with the transmission and still noticing a (non bump induced) thud/clunk in the low speed deceleration right before a stop I then tried putting it in neutral and coming to a stop the same way. Same clunk that felt like a hard downshift before. So would it make sense that if it is not the transmission, it could be an excessive play in the driveshaft issue? I can repeat the "feeling of a hard downshift" every time I slow down in neutral. Accelerate to 20mph and then slow down normally adding brake pressure as if I was coming to a stop and right at 10-8 mph it will feel like something under the truck gets hit with a sledge hammer, or maybe a slide hammer going forward.

Maybe not related. Still annoying.

Reaction score
I have a new 23’ Raptor with the same harsh abrupt thunk when transmission downshifts after braking. I can’t always reproduce it, but it sounds like a big metal on metal smack. It’s certainly not ”normal”. Did the ECU transmission flash resolve the problem or did the dealership finally fix the issue another method?

LedFootGN3

Reaction score
My second rear shock gets replaced on the 18th but I am requesting that the chassis ears be hooked up to the front end now to listen for clunk. I would love that list of serial numbers since I know my truck has them. Keep fighting the good fight on this.
It’s gotten to the point where it’s inconvenient and would even trade in now.

SurfRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Just finally got the second rear shock replaced and all I can say again is that it makes a huge difference. The passenger side was certainly the noisiest, but having both done now makes this thing drive like it really should in the rear. I asked them to put the chassis ears on the front, and they said they cannot hear anything coming from the front. I still think I can hear something from the front, but if they can't hear anything with chases ears, then it must just be me.

Again, to anyone who thinks they hear clunking, go get the rears replaced. It makes a difference.

New recaros

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Just finally got the second rear shock replaced and all I can say again is that it makes a huge difference. The passenger side was certainly the noisiest, but having both done now makes this thing drive like it really should in the rear. I asked them to put the chassis ears on the front, and they said they cannot hear anything coming from the front. I still think I can hear something from the front, but if they can't hear anything with chases ears, then it must just be me.

Again, to anyone who thinks they hear clunking, go get the rears replaced. It makes a difference.
It really helps

relak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
after having mine replaced and being able to enjoy the truck as it’s meant to be, all I can think is how Ford hasn’t done a recall on these shocks instead of a TSB. The sheer number of threads, this one alone at almost 100 pages, shows how prevalent this issue is and it’s killing the Raptor lineage for some folks who are just too fed up to go through the process.