Clunking sound on Gen 3 too

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

slater

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am curious how they identified it to a certain run of trucks. Most likely its a part # and production series but is it possible the faulty shocks were installed on trucks outside of the date range?

MikeJones603

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had (1) rear shock replaced yesterday.. night and day difference from before. Pleasurable experience at the service department. It was a 30 minute visit to diagnose (no push back at all). 5 days later parts arrived, then it was a 4 hour installation (from drop off to phone call). I was thanked for being "such a good customer" and was asked if I could be cloned for the rest of the "pre-Madonna Raptor owners". My girlfriend laughed and said "if only they knew.."

Before leaving I stood on the bumper and did a little dance. The noise I was hearing before service was significantly reduced, but still present. I figured I'd do some road tests before going back in. After review- my brain (and right foot) tell me there's still some efforts needed on the front shocks. Going over small bumps at low speeds, I can hear a knock in the front suspension. I can also feel it coming through the gas peddle. It's minor/nothing horrible, but it's not right. I find myself comparing my Rap (6k miles) to her Sasquatch Bronco (2k miles).. there's a noticeable difference. I've been driving these live valve suspension trucks everyday of my life for 4+ years, feel confident in saying it's not right. I'll be bringing it back in for another diagnoses next week.

SurfRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I had (1) rear shock replaced yesterday.. night and day difference from before. Pleasurable experience at the service department. It was a 30 minute visit to diagnose (no push back at all). 5 days later parts arrived, then it was a 4 hour installation (from drop off to phone call). I was thanked for being "such a good customer" and was asked if I could be cloned for the rest of the "pre-Madonna Raptor owners". My girlfriend laughed and said "if only they knew.."

Before leaving I stood on the bumper and did a little dance. The noise I was hearing before service was significantly reduced, but still present. I figured I'd do some road tests before going back in. After review- my brain (and right foot) tell me there's still some efforts needed on the front shocks. Going over small bumps at low speeds, I can hear a knock in the front suspension. I can also feel it coming through the gas peddle. It's minor/nothing horrible, but it's not right. I find myself comparing my Rap (6k miles) to her Sasquatch Bronco (2k miles).. there's a noticeable difference. I've been driving these live valve suspension trucks everyday of my life for 4+ years, feel confident in saying it's not right. I'll be bringing it back in for another diagnoses next week.
I’m the same right now. My shock came in and the truck goes to dealer Tuesday to get installed but I know it’s not going to solve all of the clunking. I can clearly hear it in the fronts also when I go over a speed bump.

MikeJones603

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I’m the same right now. My shock came in and the truck goes to dealer Tuesday to get installed but I know it’s not going to solve all of the clunking. I can clearly hear it in the fronts also when I go over a speed bump.
This is exactly what I have going on. Last week I got impatient with the imbeciles in the service department that were trying to convince me it's 'normal operation' then suggesting Ford doesn't pay them enough to switch out the fronts. I immediately ended the conversation, went directly to the sales manager who escalated the issue to team members with authority. Yesterday I received 3 calls, and another this morning. The situation seems to of gotten some traction. I will not rest until the sound is gone, and will ultimately push to have all four corners replaced.

I'm looking at a GT500, guessing they're doing what ever they can to mitigate the situation in the back of the house.

RedRptr

Reaction score
My service department just finished both rears being replaced. They originally had difficulty “hearing” the noise, but moved forward after I referenced the aforementioned SSM. They did a test ride in another new raptor and noticed it was quieter. Then a stethoscope check while being jounced highlighted the noise in the rears. Took about 6 weeks to get the parts in, got replaced while in for other service.

MUCH better ride and noise is gone. Feels firm but not rigid. Like it’s supposed to be.

Good luck to all those undergoing similar experiences.

flipgnats

Reaction score
Not gonna lie, dealer 3 times, wasted my time. Bought a set and threw on the FRS 3.0's....Why didn't I do that a year ago when I bought it is what I keep asking myself now lol :facepalm: I can officially say this thing rides amazinggggg :cool: I will never ever discuss that annoying clunk againnnnn lol.

relak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not gonna lie, dealer 3 times, wasted my time. Bought a set and threw on the FRS 3.0's....Why didn't I do that a year ago when I bought it is what I keep asking myself now lol :facepalm: I can officially say this thing rides amazinggggg :cool: I will never ever discuss that annoying clunk againnnnn lol.
Did you do front and rear replacement?